advice for a graduate?

cyenna

um... yes i have a keep the change account. no it doesn't cost me anything. and yes i have made some money off of it. Any bank is going to sell you stuff... that doesn't mean you have to say yes :p

I think it is kinda funny that joel, a business owner trying to make money... would expect another business not to do the same thing?

Obviously he has had a bad experience with them... as it shows in his statement, I banked with them about 15 years ago, at the time it was a terrible bank, I would recommend a credit union over a for standard bank any day. I just got sick of all the surprise surcharges and fees, and if I didn't play ball or they messed up it was a nightmare to get them to fix it. A credit union usually goes out of its way, waiving overdraft fees and mine even waived my credit card interest many times when I had let it get out of hand, customer service is everything. My wife used to work for one of the big banks and they would hose people all the time, she finally went to a union bank 5 years ago and loves dealing with the people now, that says something.

The ONLY account I have is at a credit union. My dad opened it for me when I was one year old, and I still use it today (30 something years later). I get interest on the balance in my checking account (not a lot, but it adds up over time), overdraft protection (no bounced checks, even when we have made HUGE mistakes!), Credit lines with low interest... The list goes on and on of why I use a credit union, not a bank.

The biggest downside is that there are only 3 branches, all in the city of Portland. But to make up for that there is a network of shared branches that I can go to and receive most of the same services (deposit, withdrawal, cash check, etc.)

dsoz