How high is your alkalanity?

frankb

It shouldn't get that high with a normal water change. I know that Red Sea salt mixes at 12dkh.....what size water change did u do?

I do 10 percent water change weekly. I use hanna alkalinity checker so it should be accurate.

The Hanna reads on the high side. 12-13 alk is pretty high but people run at those levels all the time with great success. I like to keep my tank really close to natural seawater levels so my tank runs 7-8 dkh. It's not what level you run your alk at, it's keeping it stable that makes the difference.

Frank, with 10% water changes, there is no way your alk should be that high. It might start climbing slowly with each water change, but it shouldn't jump up to 12-13 right away. Especially if u have coral that use alk....don't u have a bunch of SPS? Something isn't adding up (scratch)

Do you run a calcium reactor? If so' date=' it could be the cause.[/quote']

I am running a calcium reactor and dosing at the same time. I think that was the cause of the problem. A few months ago, I had problem with low alkalinity. It dropped all the way to 5 dkh. I started dosing by mixing soda ash and baking soda. The alkalinity was slowly climbing up. When I switched to use Red Sea Coral Pro salt, I forgot to adjust the doser. I need to tune it down a little bit everyday to avoid the swing of alkalinity. It has been steady at 12 to 13 dkh lately. I assume that many reefers are keeping it around 7 to 9.