Introducing myself

DavidB

Hi there,

I'm David in Beaverton.

I've been a long time fresh water planted guy and decided some months ago to try out saltwater.

At the moment I have my eye on a 34 gallon cadlights all-in-one tank. If I really do get into the salt water side of things ( which I have a feeling I will (scary) ) I'll probably end up with something bigger and use the cad as a QT or frag tank.

I'm really glad I found this site. It seems to be a great place to meet locals who have the same passions for aquariums.

Hoping to have the new tank setup by the start of next month. So I'm sure I'll be on here frequently asking loads of dumb questions.

David

Welcome to the sight! I am a newbie to but used to be into it years ago. And like you I started a small tank for my son now am looking for a tank for myself(laugh) Once you get bitten look out. And I have always been told the only dumb question is the one you do not ask.

Howdy, howdy, howdy.

Please try to make the meeting on the 20th, so that we can all meet you in person. :)

PS- ask "smart" questions. There ARE such things as dumb questions, like "duh, was I really speeding, officer?" Smart questions are like "I don't know what this is, can anyone help me?"

dsoz

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I will try my best to attend the meeting this month. I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

Can't wait to get my tank up and running. I'm doing a ton of research at the moment and loving every minute of it.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Sonny - SE Portland.

FW for 10+ years, Piranhas, FW Stingrays, Arrowanas, Discuss, you name it I've had it.

I had a 180 reef before, but when my banded shark passed away, I was too sadden to keep it going.

sold the tank, kept all the equipments, the skimmer, wet dry filter, the MH light and the pump.

I'm glad I did. I am starting a 29 gallon reef tank for the family, cycling for 3 wks now with about 75-100 lbs. of liverock. Wife and daughter are always in the saltwater section when we visit, Cayes, CBs, or RCA.

My daughter loves Nemo and my wife is a shrimp freak. Hopefully the tank will be a low maintaince reeftank with only 1 Clownfish and a Firefish and lots of cleanup crew.

nano503-

welcome to the board. I hope that you find this board informative, and a welcoming place.

Start a thread in the member tank section, and post a lot of pics. Even if it is only of rock cycling in a tank. :)

Is that a lot of rock for such a small tank? Will the fish have any room to swim? LOL

dsoz :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for making me feel very welcome!

Sorry I haven't posted in a few weeks. I've had some work commitments I've had to deal with.

I ended up getting a 50 gallon tank, to which I added a 20 gallon sump/refugium. I got some fully cured live rock and let that sit in the tank for a couple of weeks, and today I added half my CUC.

Here are a couple of pics of the tank.

post-584-141867736741_thumb.jpg

post-584-141867736746_thumb.jpg

Looks good so what are the specs as for sump and all that good stuff. See you have some Koraleas in there how do you like them and what size are they? I have a Tunze in my smaller tank and am debating on getting a bigger on or those for my 92. Also what lights are you running on it? Keep the pics coming.

Here are my tank specs:

50 gallon acrylic tank with MH canopy

20G long AGA tank converted to a sump with a refugium ( inside purpose built tank stand)

Tunze 9010 skimmer ( in sump)

Eheim 1260 (634 gph) return pump

2 Koralia circulation pumps ( these are Koralia 1's)

JBJ 1/15 chiller

Eheim 1250 ( for chiller )

2 39watt highoutput t5's with geismann 6500k and blue+ bulb

2 250 MH to come when funds allow

I was originally going to get a 34 gallon cadlights tank so bought the chiller and koralia's with that tank in mind. I then decided to get a larger tank.

The chiller is probably a little undersized for the tank, but it seems to be keeping the tank at a nice constant 78 degrees, even when the ambient room temp is in the high 80's, so I'll have to see how it works when I get my MH's.

The Koralia's are also on the small side for my tank so I'll probably upgrade to Koralia 2's or 3's, just not sure which yet. They're very quiet and I like the sleek look to them, so I'll definately stick with Koralia's.

In a couple of weeks when I get my MH's I'll start slowly adding more livestock.