Trager Grill

racefan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet' date=' thanks guys. Anyone know of someone who regularly has good deals on elites? I am open to a demo model or ding/dent if it can save a bit of $$$$.[/quote']

If you can wait another month until the Oregon State Fair, Traeger has a booth set up and they offer some pretty good deals. Last year the grills were discounted about $100.00 from regular price and they threw in 4 bags of pellets and a cover. If the guy was in a good mood he would even throw in a rib rack or something depending on how good his day was going.

Spring for the Elite. The digital controller and better wheels is worth the extra.

not on mine' date=' the micro switch runs the smoke. Each setting shuts the auger off 10 seconds different than the other. The thermostat has nothing to with smoke, quoting traeger[/quote']

But in essence the micro switch directly controls the temperature when smoking. The traegers are designed to run between 160-180 degrees when set to smoke. When the temperature is running out of range the micro switch can be adjusted. For instance the factory setting for the traegers is P-2. With my traeger when the Traeger was set to smoke it ran 220-240 degrees which is too hot and does not produce as much smoke. I spent some time on the phone with Traeger and they had me adjust my micro switch to P-4. This lengthened the time between the auger introducing pellets by 20 seconds and made the temperature range drop to 160-170 degrees when I was smoking jerky this last weekend. From what I was told the older thermostats do not have this same function and with the digital display it would be a little more difficult to identify the cooking temp.

But in essence the micro switch directly controls the temperature when smoking. The traegers are designed to run between 160-180 degrees when set to smoke.

Exactly , I guess I am saying the temp is not controlled by the number settings, but by the switch.

We have not fired up the oven since we got the Traeger. I've cooked ribs (amazing!) wood fired pizza (amazinger!) thick juicy pork chops, Pork Roast (I also ran out of pellets Beth. But caught it before the temp dropped 20 degrees) Carne Asada (way better than gas grilled) next up is cedar plank Salmon. I got a digital thermostat off the website for $70.00 no tax or shipping (sale ends 8/1) that makes it really easy. One of my co workers called Traegers the crock pot of grills. Set it & forget it!