Trager Grill

racefan

Who here has a Trager? My gas grill is getting close to needing to be replaced and I've been eying Tragers. Can you still grill a steak on it? (wondering if the grills get hot enough to get a sear on the meat) what model do you have ? and do you like it? Since it's just my wife & I now I was looking the Jr.

Also if you have one & want a digital thermostat they are having a sale. http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BAC233

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are great grills but more along the line of a convection oven/smoker oven. I have one but i'm more into the quick steak and small cut grilling so i use my old gas bbq. Tragers are great for roast, pulled pork, long slow cooking

I have a little Tex and love it for everything but steaks, just dosen't get hot enough. My favorite grill is my Solaire Anywhere portable Infrared Grill, all stainless steel, american made. It cooks the best steaks I have ever had. It's also great for chicken, fish and anything but roasts. There not cheap but this size is perfect for me and my wife. I can give you a link for the best price

I actually met the creator of the grills. He sold the name to some Chinese company, so they don't make them like they used to. He's going to be starting up a new brand pretty soon, I guess.

Just get a cast iron skillet and use your stove ;)

I bought a Traeger on December 30th and you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands to get it away from me. I LOVE the thing. I sold my Weber Silver Genesis because I will never use a gas grill again. I've used my Traeger more in the past 7 months than I used my Weber in 7 years. ANYTHING you cook on a Traeger comes out better. There are no flare ups. You will never burn another piece of food ever again. The food is so much more juicy, more flavorful and it is much easier to use than a gas grill. As Smann says, it cooks using convection heat and wood smoke. This is what makes the food so moist and tender. It does not dry out the meat. I cook chickens, steak, hamburgers, pork shoulder, ribs, whole NY strip, brisket, Tri-Tip, turkey, grilled zucchini, potatoes, even pizza and chocolate chip cookies on it. The thing is great.

When I do pulled pork, I usually do a 9-10 pound pork shoulder. I set my Traeger to 180 degrees, put the pork butt on at 11:00 PM, and go to bed. I have a remote thermometer (a must have) and I literally do not need to open the door until the thermometer tells me my food is ready about 3:00 PM the next day. I need a large spatula to remove it from the grill because it just falls apart. It is the juiciest piece of meat you will ever eat.

I usually do 2 chickens at once and they take about an hour and a half or so and come out perfect every time.

I did smoked turkey legs one time and when my son stuck a fork in one, the juice squirted across the table and hit me in the chest.

I did an 18 pound turkey, just to see how it would turn out, and it was the best turkey my family has ever eaten. You could squeeze the juice out of the turkey breast.

I too heard people say that you can't really cook a steak or hamburgers on it, but that is just not true. Turn it up to 400 degrees and 15-20 minutes later you will have the best steak or burgers you've ever eaten.

My wife used to hate BBQ. Since I bought the Traeger, she loves it and wants me to cook something every day. Even people at work are bringing meat for me to cook for them.

IMHO, run, do not walk, to the nearest Traeger dealer and buy one. It is an amazing grill. Unless you need something bigger, I would recommend the Lil Tex with the digital thermometer even if it is just for you and your wife. It is big enough to do 4 10 pound pork shoulders, or an 18 pound turkey. The Lil Tex junior is just too small for home use but would be great for apartment life or tailgating.

I actually met the creator of the grills. He sold the name to some Chinese company, so they don't make them like they used to. He's going to be starting up a new brand pretty soon, I guess.

Just get a cast iron skillet and use your stove ;)

That's only partially true. Traeger is still headquartered in Mt. Angel, Oregon. Due to manufacturing costs, the components are made in China now, but so is everything you buy now-a-days. It is still a quality unit and made as well as anything.

Yeah, I am quite blown away that so many said they wont cook steak or burgers on theirs. I have yet to have a better steak. Trick with burgers is you just flip them once, really the same for steaks. Every time you open that lid you lose heat.

There is nothing better in my opinion. Had mine about 4 years now, just the little Tex. My wife didnt like pork before. She said it was to dry. Now she loves pork chops, roasts everything. If you keep an eye on Costco, the traeger guys are in there a few times a year. They have a pretty good deal on them.

That's another concern (laugh) Man your reply makes me want to go run & buy one NOW.

You know what...Cooking on a Traeger is so easy, you won't mind doing it. Really, all you do is turn it on, put your food in and take it out when it's to temp. That's it. Be sure to get a remote thermometer. Mine has a base station that is connected to the probe and sits on the pellet hopper and a remote unit that stays in the house with me. I cook in the rain or snow because I never have to check my food. Unless it's a burger or steak you don't ever have to turn the food. Put the food in and take it out. It's that easy.

Get it and never look back. I have the big tex and the jr. I will never buy another coal or gas grill again. Makes the best food period. I really only use the Jr. because it's just me and shannon and it's awesome. Make sure you get a remote digital temp.. makes everything to easy lol, set it and go watch tv ha. As to the steaks.. not sure what others are saying.. I throw mine on medium and it more then hot enough.. set your temp at 135, flip them once at 115 and they are perfect every time. And if you want even better buy a sear plate then take them off at 130... close the lid and set it on high tell it hits 400. Then Sear both sides of the steaks for about 1-2 min. Then you have the perfect steak and has the good looking sear marks on it haha. Everyone I know always ask to come over when I make steaks because they are unbelievable and a 5 year old can do it with the remote temp.

I actually have 2 whites meat bacon wrap fillets for tonight :D

If you don't have one yet.. go get it.... right now haha

Well I also need to chime in here. I have had a traeger for over 15 years. I was surprised about the steaks and hamburgers. We use our traeger year round. It will take you a few tries to be able to cook some things. I would recommend you get a meat thermometer. (especially with chicken) The cool thing about them is that every time something goes out, like the heating coil I have taken it back to Mt Angel, now you have to go to Tualitin,Wilsonville area and they always fix it for free. You will love it. We also grill alot of vegetables on it. Have fun experimenting.

That's funny that you posted this Mike. Beth has been looking at the Traegers. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

GROUP BUY!!!

You know what...Cooking on a Traeger is so easy' date=' you won't mind doing it. Really, all you do is turn it on, put your food in and take it out when it's to temp. That's it. Be sure to get a remote thermometer. Mine has a base station that is connected to the probe and sits on the pellet hopper and a remote unit that stays in the house with me. I cook in the rain or snow because I never have to check my food. Unless it's a burger or steak you don't ever have to turn the food. Put the food in and take it out. It's that easy.[/quote']

I do have a remote thermometer. It's kinda cool, it talks to you "your food is almost done"

Picked up the Jr back in March and recently added the digital upgrade, 4 fire bricks to help stabilize the temperature and a hopper mod to keep the pellets from sticking on the flat spots. After all the mods I literary cook 2/3 my bbq meals on this lil guy. And with the added benefit of convection the pellet bbq's seem to cook much faster than my gas or charcoal.

I have cooked a few steaks on the JR but I did have to turn it to high and let the temperature stabilize before cooking them. I still prefer my Char-Broil for burgers and steaks.

Mak Grills ave very nice! The 2 star general will be next upgrade (unless something better comes out) due to the controller they utilize and the higher temperatures the Mak grills can produce.

Plus they are manufacturing locally providing Americans with stable income!

I have a char broil gas frill and hands down the best I have ever used I know this is off topic but I cooked up 3 pounds of the most crispy perfectly done bacon on it I dont know of any other grill that could be done on I also use it to cook pizza on and steaks at 600` cant be beat =) Ok (backtotopic)

I just got the Texas grill for fathers day and all I can say is I wish I had bought one sooner!! I am not sure why they say you can't cook burgers or steaks on them. I have cooked both for friends and they say that both rival the best they have ever had. When I cooked my steaks I smoked them for about an hour and then turned up the heat to 450 and they were done in under 20 minutes. I also love the burger recipe they have on there, we cooked some burgers for some friends on Saturday and one of my buddies could not stop talking about it and wants to go buy one now. They have a bunch of recipes on their website that we have been using for ideas. We bought ours at costco and save quite a bit of money. If you look on the costco website on their specials at the locations it will tell you where they are selling them. I believe that they are back in Vancouver the last week of July. We drove to the Wilsonville costco to get our because I couldn't wait :)

I have a char broil gas frill and hands down the best I have ever used I know this is off topic but I cooked up 3 pounds of the most crispy perfectly done bacon on it I dont know of any other grill that could be done on I also use it to cook pizza on and steaks at 600` cant be beat =) Ok (backtotopic)

You haven't tried traeger bacon yet then, we cooked some this weekend for our burgers and I don't know if I can ever cook it on the stove again. We have also cooked papa murphy's pizza on it and it was awesome also. Last weekend we cooked 13lbs. of spare ribs on it that were incredible.