10g Tank ideas

Cirenus

My friend just quit the Fish hobby and gave me his 10g tank, a heater, a small power head. and a very small light.. Not entirely sure what to put in it yet, any good ideas? I can use water from my display tank to put in it so that I can skip a lot of the cycling process. I have never owned a tank so small so not entirely sure where to start with it. Would love any input people could give and suggestions on equipment.

With what you have there and small frequent water changes you are all set. The type of corals you can keep will be dependent on what kind of light he gave you. I use a Tunze 6015 pump and a surface skimming in tank filter made by current in my 10g. Led par38 bulbs are a very economical solution for lighting and allow you to keep most any coral. I would also get some sort of auto top off. In small tanks water evaporation is huge and will throw your levels off quickly. 1 or 2 small fish is about the max in a 10g. I have a Damsel and a very small high fin goby.

Post some pics when you get a chance.

The light he gave me is some type of low watt Fluorescent lights. He said he thinks they were only like 15 watts. So ill have to definitely upgrade those on payday. Was thinking a small sand bed and perhaps another goby and pistol pair. ( Absolutely love watching my pair in my 55g tank. ) what are the going costs on led lights that are strong enough for some corals? Ill also have to get a skimmer, and I'm thinking a new power head because the one he had is extremely weak. Suggestions for a skimmer?

If you dont want to spend a bunch of money pic up a par38 led bulb and it will do good over your tank =) also look at the mame skimmers or the one that Islandoftiki is using on his ten those are some good quite options somtimes the hang on back types can be a bit loud as far as the power head get akorilla nano the have goo flow low power and come with amagnet to help hold em in place. I would personally love to have a nano that was solely dedicated to zoas of all kinds and nothing else but go with what inspires you the most that way you ar emore likely to keep up on the maintenance because things can get out of hand really quick in a ten gallon tank. Just some food for thought I look forward to seeing what you do with this.

I don't know how quickly you want to set this up but I am going to be moving my 10g contents into a 40. I will have a tri-color par38 and my filter for sale. I could ship them to you but it would be a week or two. Here is what I have:

http://www.current-usa.com/files/SubCurrent8026Manual.pdf

http://ledtric.myshopify.com/collections/par38-reeflamps/products/ledtric-par38-tri-color-18w-reeflamp

Thanks for the Advice Jeramy I will definitely look into that. @Matty, I was thinking mid July would be when I invest in all the equipment... Wife is already pretty mad at me for spending a couple hundred on livestock for the 55g this month! Thanks for offering to sell some of your equipment to me, when you do list them if I am in a position to buy them from you I will let you know!

Thanks for the Advice Jeramy I will definitely look into that. @Matty' date=' I was thinking mid July would be when I invest in all the equipment... Wife is already pretty mad at me for spending a couple hundred on livestock for the 55g this month! Thanks for offering to sell some of your equipment to me, when you do list them if I am in a position to buy them from you I will let you know![/quote']

Sounds good. Since I offered I will send you a pm so you have first dibs. The led bulb is just a few months old.