Agressive...Chromis?

Cirenus

Hey guys, recently one of my chromis ( have 3) have begun to pick on my Banggai Cardinal fish. I currently have 2 Banggai Cardinals ( my 3rd was killed a while back during a 2 day aggression fest by my emerald crab before he settled down ) The chromis will shoot after them and peck at them and chase them around the tank. This is a recent development and I am worried if I need to take him out or put my cardinals in a different tank so that they do not get killed by the chromis. I did some reading saying that the chromis can become aggressive when they are getting ready to breed, but different sites say that when they do get to that stage, the male chromis starts to turn yellowish which mine has not... Any ideas on whats going on or what I can do. its a 55g FOWLR tank

• 2 years later...

Hey Cirenus,

I have too heard that chromis can be very mean, especially to clowns. As or your chromis, 3 might be a little too small of a school, i would go with maybe 6-10. Unless your tank has too much livestock, or any other schools that may bully the chromis gang?

make sure when you introduce more chromis, you try to get the same size, so a new leader can be chosen, and not have the larger ones kill the smaller.

hope this is of some help. best of luck