New to the site and new to the saltwater game

Droc88

Just set up my reef tank and everything is going smooth I wanna throw in some nice soft coral to start but I dont have very good lights just looking for some advice on what kind of lights would work best or some places I could get some really good deals

Welcome to the forum (welcome)

If you just set up you system I would advise waiting until the cycle is over and the tank has stablized before you add any animals (corals are animals too)

Fist off what type of tank do you have and what do you want to keep it there. Are you just starting with soft coral and want to move in to hard corals later? You should get the light that will support all the life you would like to keep, so you don't have to buy lights twice.

Soft corals are pretty forgiveing. so almost any reef capable light will work. T-5 would most likely be the least expencive. But you could even use PC lighting for softys.

There are a lot of very nice and knowlegable poeple on this forum. They have been very helpful to me and made my tank much more successful then it would have been without them. Feel free to ask questions.

I got lucky and came across a sweet deal on craigslist I got prolly 100 to 120 pounds of purple live rock with a bunch of mushrooms a few kenya trees hermits lawn mower blenny yellow tang orange dot rabbit wrasse tomato clown and Itook the sand and all the water so everything I think should be established no casualties yet I just want a good light to make it pop off the way it should before iadd anything else in there

Sweet no cycle to deal with, bonus :)

I would talk to Garrett at the Premium Aquarium about a t-5 fixture. Its amazing when you get the right bulb combo what colors jump off your corals and fish. It looks awesome. I think our president elect Emerald525 has one of the best bulb combos. All of hers and Tanktop74's corals look absolutly stunning. If you decide to go with t-5 you should ask what they use.

We are having our June meeting there on Sunday. If your avalible you should stop by and talk reef. People will be coming from all over the region. Everyone is welcome