Coral Growth

DChemist

Guest Krux

in many cases, corals will seem to darken due to an increase in the density of zoox, which is usually because the coral is not etting enough light. This can be because of shading, having the coral too deep in the tank, or from less than clear water.

in the case of that stylo, i think that it is actually healthier in the later shots. while the lightening may not always be to our liking (if we bought a coral for its dark color for example) as long as it is growing, and has nice polyp extension, you are most likely making the coral happier with its new placement/arrangement.

looks great to me.

in the case of that stylo, i think that it is actually healthier in the later shots. while the lightening may not always be to our liking (if we bought a coral for its dark color for example) as long as it is growing, and has nice polyp extension, you are most likely making the coral happier with its new placement/arrangement.

looks great to me.

Thanks Krux- I appreciate the feedback. I didn't buy it for the color it was- it was given to me. I was more concerned that I was doing it harm. Doesn't seem to be the case.

• 5 months later...

that looks kinda like my neon green stylo pistallata frag i got from travis up at upscales. i have it kinda high and in decent light, and it seems to have lightened up as well.. polyps arent bleached or washed out, they extend real nice, and its growing. so ive been watching it as well. glad i stumbled on this thread. under 250w 14k hammy, about 8" from the surface.

bout to get brighter too, got some reeflux 10k's on the way.. should be here in a day or two.

• 3 weeks later...
that looks kinda like my neon green stylo pistallata frag i got from travis up at upscales. i have it kinda high and in decent light, and it seems to have lightened up as well.. polyps arent bleached or washed out, they extend real nice, and its growing. so ive been watching it as well. glad i stumbled on this thread. under 250w 14k hammy, about 8" from the surface.

bout to get brighter too, got some reeflux 10k's on the way.. should be here in a day or two.

Dippin61, do you have a photo you could post?

• 3 weeks later...

stylo-1.jpg

not as dark as i see a lot of the stylos.. when i first replied to this thread, it was a bit lighter, darkened a bit, but not much

also..its still on the plug i got from travis.. but i had cut it off to a stub, and mounted the frag, the other frag didnt make it through my tank's downfall for a few months, but this one did. its basically all new growth