temperate teeny tank

Burningbaal

This will be my tank thread for the cold-water "Femto" tank that is my entry in the under-gallon contest gearing up.

I bought a 1/2gallon vase at goodwill that will be the display, and will use an aqualifter to pump water through a dorm minifridge. Fridge will have a bucket of tap water to help conduct heat through the tubing and hold the fridge temp more stable. 50ft of 0.15 ID tubing will be coiled in the bucket to allow plenty of time in the fridge. Water should be in the fridge for about 4minutes and the whole 'system' will be turned over every 15 minutes or so

Planning to buy a 2-diode moonlight kit from rapidled, but one diode as cool white instead (anyone have a moonlight kit or coole white bulb to sell used?), about 6w of led for 1/2g tank...should be plenty, esp for a temperate tank.

Planning a shrimp and nemes unless I can find a vertical rate or star that stays small enough :)

Sent using Forum Runner

This will be my tank thread for the cold-water "Femto" tank that is my entry in the under-gallon contest gearing up.

I bought a 1/2gallon vase at goodwill that will be the display, and will use an aqualifter to pump water through a dorm minifridge. Fridge will have a bucket of tap water to help conduct heat through the tubing and hold the fridge temp more stable. 50ft of 0.15 ID tubing will be coiled in the bucket to allow plenty of time in the fridge. Water should be in the fridge for about 4minutes and the whole 'system' will be turned over every 15 minutes or so

Planning to buy a 2-diode moonlight kit from rapidled, but one diode as cool white instead (anyone have a moonlight kit or coole white bulb to sell used?), about 6w of led for 1/2g tank...should be plenty, esp for a temperate tank.

Planning a shrimp and nemes unless I can find a vertical rate or star that stays small enough :)

Sent using Forum Runner

Is your house temperature controlled? My first ever attempt at a coldwater tank back in highschool I made a mini fridge chiller and it worked out Ok, but it was in my parents house that they kep at 68F year round.

Does your fridge have a freezer compartment built into it? If it does, I would use heavily salted water, a propylene glycol mixture, or a glycerol mixture in the internal bucket to lower the freeze point. I froze a couple buckets of water in mine before I finally ended up using a mini freezer and a bucket of non-toxic antifreeze.

Just keep in mind that these style chillers are the least efficient way to chill a tank, but definitely the most cost effective for short term. Fridge compressors just aren't designed to be chill things constantly, so if the water in the tank has a larger thermal gain than what the fridge can handle chilling than your fridge compressor will run almost constantly. The good thing is you can get a mini-fridge just about any day of the week for under $20 or free on craigslist :D

As for livestock...............we got lots of small Sitka Shrimp and small anemones. We can get small starfish for you as well, just let us know when you want them :D

The starfish we would get for a small tank like yours would likely be these:

Leptasterias aequalis, Common Names: Colorful six-rayed star, six-rayed Star, broad six-rayed star, delicate six-armed star

leptasterias_aequalis.jpg

6345623758_93dd0a5cc1.jpg

I like it! I'll probably be up for rock, sand and water on the 23rd, possibly this Saturday and mid to late July for livestock

I like that star, very cool!

I was thinking about vegetable oil for coolant since it conducts heat better, maybe antifreeze would be good though. I'm hoping it will hold temp, but if I keep this up longer Han the comp, I may do a 'real' chiller for it instead.

Thanks for all the help!

Sent using Forum Runner

K, my better half is really opposed to the minifridge being in the house and I think a 'real' chiller is out of the price range...it's about 99% sure I'll be closing this thread and starting one for a tropical 'femto'

Probably a teeny goby, sexy shrimp and a little rock with zoas? May add a dwarf hermit or two and trocgus snail or two...

Sent using Forum Runner

K, my better half is really opposed to the minifridge being in the house and I think a 'real' chiller is out of the price range...it's about 99% sure I'll be closing this thread and starting one for a tropical 'femto'

Probably a teeny goby, sexy shrimp and a little rock with zoas? May add a dwarf hermit or two and trocgus snail or two...

Sent using Forum Runner

Couldn't you build a nice cabnet around the fidge? It would look like a table so it wouldn't be an eye sore. I don't think you would have to take that out of your budget (my vote atleast)

Maybe, but I'm not sure I'm for all that project with the yard work and kitchen remodel on my list. Not to mention venting would be an issue (gotta get the fridge coils fresh air or it doesn't work well).

Unless she changes her mind in the next day or two, I think it'll have to happen

Sent using Forum Runner

So this may be your solution for a tiny tank chiller without having to drill at all.

http://salem.craigslist.org/hsh/3035517874.html

You would just have to keep a contained bottle with one in and one out sitting in the chiller. You could use a small pump like an aqualifter to move water and the container in the wine chiller should hold a constant temp of chilled water that feeds back into your main tank.

They even have a 2 bottle version:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/app/3071247708.html

And those are both cheap options at $10 and $25 dollars, and are much smaller and quieter than the mini fridge, and are designed to run all the time since they are TEC cooling.

now that, Stew is a distinct possibility. I checked with my better half and sent an email to one in salem...here's hoping!

a thought I had: I'm concerned that if I set the chiller to 55 degrees, it won't actually cool the tank to that temp, so I'd have to set it lower...but then what happens when the room gets hot? so I'm toying with using radioTrash parts to build a little doohicky that uses the cheaper temperature controllers ($30ish) that is meant to kick on a heater, but to flip it so it would kick on a chiller instead...whatdyathink?

now that, Stew is a distinct possibility. I checked with my better half and sent an email to one in salem...here's hoping!

a thought I had: I'm concerned that if I set the chiller to 55 degrees, it won't actually cool the tank to that temp, so I'd have to set it lower...but then what happens when the room gets hot? so I'm toying with using radioTrash parts to build a little doohicky that uses the cheaper temperature controllers ($30ish) that is meant to kick on a heater, but to flip it so it would kick on a chiller instead...whatdyathink?

That is an exceptionally cool idea.

maynot work anyways...none of the 'cheap' heater controllers go that low...the JBJ goes down to 32f, but the others stop at 60-70. I might be able to make 60 work, CWMA says 55-60, so maybe if it's set to 60, I'll be ok?