Nano Comp?

ZachS

Nano Comp?  

1. 1.

• Yes I'm in
    • No this is dumb

I was (and am) kind of attached to making it under 1 gallon, I think it's a cool line (though techinically arbitrary) that really pushes the limits of reefing. I think it'd be really cool to say we had one of the first 'sub-gallon' tank competitions...

that's my reason for 'pushing' the subject...

Zach: can you put the link to the official thread in the first post of this thread? makes it easy for people to 'hop' between the two...

I was (and am) kind of attached to making it under 1 gallon, I think it's a cool line (though techinically arbitrary) that really pushes the limits of reefing. I think it'd be really cool to say we had one of the first 'sub-gallon' tank competitions...

Gotcha... well, that works. How about this... as far as judging goes, how about offering bonus points for every tenth of a gallon under one gallon total volume? That would push people to go really small!

While it's on my mind, I thought I'd share a little tidbit on a heater that's about the smallest one I've ever used.

I currently am running it on my 2 gallon freshwater shrimp tank at work.

It's an Archaea Aquarium Heater 25 watt heater. It's adjustable and the part that goes in the tank is only about 4" (100mm) long, and the two end rubber parts are only 3/4" (20mm). I actually bought it at The Wet Spot LFS. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was pretty reasonable (less than $30.00). Anyhow, it's been really consistent temp-wise, and it's adjustable--externally! It's much smaller than my Hydor Theo 25w.

Hope this helps folks out. Small heaters are tough to find, especially adjustable ones.

what if my tank is a HOB filter' date=' haha thatd throw you for a loop, either way if we can or not i plan on nothing but frequent water changes[/quote']

I'd love to see one that's just a filter, do it!

but seriously, I think water changes will be the main thing for me, though that azoo mignon is intriguing.

Some random thoughts I have regarding a sub-one gallon tank.

Sand bed. I'd probably go bare-bottom at this size, or go with a faux sandbed suspended in acrylic resin for aesthetics.

Water changes. Probably a minimum of 50% water change weekly, if not 100%. I know some reef-vases that are sub-gallon that they do 100% water changes weekly after doing a heavy feeding of corals.

I'm concerned about evaporation. I would imagine a partial cover would be appropriate, but we need to make sure there is sufficient aeration of the water.

Reef vases usually use an airstone for aeration and water movement.

Stocking. What are peoples thoughts on this? I at most, I'd go with sexy shrimp or a pom pom crab. I'd skip fish altogether.

Lighting... Probably the best for corals at this small size and with the budget would be DIY LED or this Finnex unit: http://www.amazon.com/CL26BK-Aquarium-Cliplight-including-Moonlight/dp/B003GVOF8I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1RREIBMZ1R1FK&coliid=I2TLQAJXMBC8BL

Heating, I already shared my favorite small heater, anyone have other suggestions?

Other thoughts or concerns?

good thoughts, John. I hadn't thought of faux sand, but that's good thinking.

I was thinking lots of water changes...I was thinking of a little 'cheat' though...pull two quarts from the femto, put it in my 90g, pull two quarts from my 90, put it in the femto...is that legal? I could do that WAY more often than I'd get around to doing it with NSW.

evap, I was thinking of trying the modded-rat-water-thingy

airstone is a good idea, I was also thinking of using an aqualifter for 3gph movement

I've been racking my brain for a fish...haven't settled yet, thought of a single chromis, panda goby? Eviota pellucida? Jaguar goby? red spotted goby?

good idea on lighting...probably fits in the budget too

Would 100% WC not affect your inhabitants? I do agree on what would thrive best in something this small there are also pipe shrimp that are very small. If someone is brave enough (or dumb) they should be allowed to put in a fish but if he starts to get ill he should be taken out immediately.

My biggest concern is only having a week to create our tanks I would like more time to be able to perfect my system and make sure everything is put together properly and not feel rushed and putting together something halfarsed

I'd be fine getting things set up starting any time but the cycle has to start no earlier than the 7th. if you do a wet test with saltwater, do it without the rock/sand/whatever (just equipment) and it has to be dry for...let's say 24 hours?...before you start it up for real.

how's that?

or maybe we could say that equipment mods are fully legal until august 15th, but it all has to fit in the budget (so careful if you spend all $100 too early).

how about it has to be dry for 48 hours before the real-deal setup? that way you get to take a month to start putting things together, figure out plumbing/lighting/etc, but just do it with 'waste' water and no rock/substrate. drain all the water (rinse if you want) and leave dry for 48 hours so that sometime between the 7th and 15th you can get water/rock/substrate/etc in there to start the cycle. I think I'll also add that a CUC can be added before september 1st, but has to be part of the $100 budget and has to be kept to a minimum (number of creatures limit? price limit?)

I think that's a nice option, I would like to keep it flexible, but maybe there will be enough people that want this that it can come in at a discount.

I'm going to add the $5 cuc limit (can add more during september according to general budget)

I'm also going to tweak the budget rules to just say $120, vessel included. instead of $100 general and $20 for vessel.

this whole project has to come in at $120 or less...sessile inverts and like-item replacement notwithstanding.

I may be in for this but have never had a system less then 10 gallons (besides betta bowls) so am a compleat idiot on how to do such a small setup.

Would this be a competition for fun where people help and make suggestions or is it a top secret out do you foe and world domination thing?

I like having a cap on how much you can spend, keeps everyone on the same level. Since I'm a grocery store worker its easy to leave me in the dust DOH!

If I go in I'll have many more and dumber questions for everyone (whistle)

Thomas: I'm guessing it'll be kind of in between, lots of helping and some secrets. I think John's the only one who's had a pico before, I'm almost sure his 2g is the smallest anyone's had so this is new to pretty much all of us.

jump in, you should do it! like you said, it's on a restricted budget and some of that won't be spent until september, so get in!!!