Nano Comp?

ZachS

Nano Comp?  

1. 1.

• Yes I'm in
    • No this is dumb

Masonry jar or...a simply orange container! Here's my plan:

Everyone starts with a simply orange container, sand and some rubble to get a cycle going. Lighting can be anything withing the budget. Max spending beyond the container, sand and rubble is within budget, livestock must either come from existing tank or come from the same budget. Tank mist be set up to cycle by July 15th (not before the 7th), and left untouched for six weeks except water changes and...filter changes?. Cycle can be kick-started by a raw shrimp. As of September 1st, anything can be added or subtracted that is live (rock and substrate can change if you dare), equipment can only be removed or equivalent replacement in case of breakage.

Pictures at setup, 3-4 weeks and 6 weeks, then monthly for...a year? We'll either say that at the end, it will be left to a vote, or the winner(s?) Will be for whose crashed last...:/

As the new VRO, I'll talk with vendors about prizes, I'd like a few categories (most innovative equipment, most creative livestock, best coral success, most economical...?) and a three-place ranking for best overall.

How's that sound. Max budget of $100?

I think also:

sessile invertebrates can come 'for free' from your own tank, but any crabs, shrimp, fish, etc have to be 'budgetted'. you can pull them from your own tank, but you have to account for their typical cost in your budget (less than $100). I also think instead of 'best coral success', it should be 'best sessile invert success', so if someone get a clam spawning in there or something awesome with tunicates or something, they have a shot at that prize.

equipment can be re-used, but must be accounted for in the budget as well. I think this would be really fun, and the simply orange bottle gives some cool contours (and challenges...water flow?) I say the bottle can be modified in any way you want as long as it is the only water 'vessel' in use (no sump, no...whatever).

Zach: how does that sound?

Keith's official proposed rule set (to be edited as we go):

>any container can be used assuming the entire system volume (including HOB/external filters/etc) is UNDER 1 US Gallon and the vessel (not counting filters/etc) setup can only cost up to $20, this is in addition to the 'general budget of $100.

>sand and up to one pound of rock can be added 'for free' to start the cycle. the rock cannot have any significant 'hitchhikers' on it.

>it must be set up between July 7th and July 15th and left untouched except for top off, water changes and filter/media change until September 1st

>equipment can include anything such that it fits within the budget. you can buy used, but not from someone you know unless you can show two other used sales of equivalent items within the past year for within 10% of the price you paid.

>you can use your own equipment, but must find equivalent sales (as above, used is OK) to prove what the item's value is.

>During the month of September, livestock can be added. all motile invertebrates and fish must fit within the budget, used or already-owned is ok, same rules as equipment

>this DOES mean that you can put an $800 chalice frag in there if you're so daring, but having the most expensive coral or tunicate won't win you the prizes, so that's on you.

>as of October 1st, you can only replace equipment that breaks or livestock that dies with equivalently priced items of similar nature (no replacing a light with a pump or a fish with a coral).

>you can also remove anything you want to remove, but if removal is by your choice, it must be of half the value of the item removed (to encourage consistency)

>one post in the comp thread between the 7th and 16th of July with picture(s) of setup

>one post in the comp thread between the 21st of August and before livestock addition, with picture(s)

>at least one and up to three pictures must be posted in the comp thread between the 1st and 15th of every month starting in October to show status.

>short descriptions during updates are encouraged (not just pictures, but pictures meet the requirement)

>failure to meet the update requirements will disqualify you.

>final update is between the 1st and 15th of September 2013, at least one and up to FIVE pictures must be part of this update, summary of how the year went and current status must also be part of the final update

I think waterflow and lighting are gonna be interesting here...

I'm not dead-set on the container, it could change...anyone know if these are safe?

Prizes:

>best use of and success with sessile inverts

>most creative setup

>most economical (not necessarily cheapest, but best 'use of budget')

>best use of and success with fish

>best use of and success with motile inverts

>Most successful overall (probably have one or two runner up prizes here)

We'd work with people between now and August 15th to set the prizes. more prizes could be added down the road, but that would give us enough to plan our livestock for.

I think I'd also allow mid-term prizes, if a vendor (or non-comp member) wants to offer a prize, it has to apply to at least half of the competition members (no 'best mummy eye chalice') and give at least 30 days notice before granting the award (or longer if the task warrants it)

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00mertwzdRkCuA/Clear-Glass-Flower-Vase-LD10001-LD10002-LD10003-.jpg

I like something like these. I'm sure we could find them at walmart for super cheap. Possibly even the dollar tree

Those would be great. You could easily throw an AC20 on there or some other hob filter.

Other thoughts: Saltwater Biospheres--> http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=286502

This is what I'm thinking:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12784[/ATTACH]

post-8521-141867762109_thumb.jpg

Those would be great. You could easily throw an AC20 on there or some other hob filter.

Other thoughts: Saltwater Biospheres--> http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=286502

This is what I'm thinking:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12784[/ATTACH]

Thats why I suggested something like this. Simplicity of having a good filter that way we are not just killing everything we throw in there

the trick with things like this is making sure we get enough of the same thing for all comp members...can we find a place that we could actually order 30 of the same thing and still get a cheap price? maybe we should get more official count.

perhaps we could say that the rule set is fixed, container will be less than $15 (above the $100 cap). members must commit by June 21st so the vessels can be purchased and distributed. you must pay cash for your vessel upon delivery (one of us kind souls can front the cash for the initial purchase, like a group buy of sorts?)

so commitments by June 21st, vessels delivered by July 4th and setups between the 7th and 15th.

My vessel-decision-thoughts: I'm inspired by the crazy betta systems (like glasscages has) to try something using multiple containers...actually my diea isn't really like that, but I'll keep it secret...what if we allow a second vessel that is no larger than the official one?

good point...I think part of the motivation was to keep it cheap...what if we say that you can spend $20 on the container (on top of the general $100 budget)? that way no one's going out and buying some fancy-pants AIO system that might ruin the fun for others?

I'd be up for a 1 gallon total water volume cap. if you use an AC20, that has to be accounted for, if you can figure out a sump and the whole system is under 1 gallon, that's fine...how's that?