Best Skiimmer for Biocube

NoobtoSalt

I think this is a good move' date=' even though you don't really need it day to day it will be a nice safety net.[/quote']

I know this had nothing to do with the crash but with 4 fish in the tank now i think i should get one.

Anyone at all use the hydor slim skim?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big problem I see with most skimmers that will fit in a biocube is that the reaction time between the air and water is so small that they are not very efficient. HOB skimmers tend to be loud and obnoxious. but as far as a good skimmer the tunze or a sump are are your best bets in my opion =)

is your Tunze making enough bubbles? Kinda dumb question, but with my CPR bak pak everyone mods them by adding a wood airstone in the chamber. You get way better results after the mod as the MJ or Accela pump isn't the best for bubbles. Not sure if that applies here lol, but thats my tip.

I just got an ATO from a member on here, lovin it, definately wish I did it sooner! You could always do a poor boys top off and just use an aqua lifter on a timer and hope for the best. I was running one at night for a half hour before my ATO unit, kept it close, but with more volume there is less chance for error.

is your Tunze making enough bubbles? Kinda dumb question, but with my CPR bak pak everyone mods them by adding a wood airstone in the chamber. You get way better results after the mod as the MJ or Accela pump isn't the best for bubbles. Not sure if that applies here lol, but thats my tip.

I just got an ATO from a member on here, lovin it, definately wish I did it sooner! You could always do a poor boys top off and just use an aqua lifter on a timer and hope for the best. I was running one at night for a half hour before my ATO unit, kept it close, but with more volume there is less chance for error.

I've got an ato through my reef keeper now. I just sold the Tunze before I did that...DOH! It uses an aqualifter pump along with a electonic float switch and a module for the reef keeper. I will show you on Saturday. As far as the bubbles it was good for a day or so but then when I forgot to top off the tank the water level would drop just enough for the skimmer to stop getting any skimmate to the cup. I'm searching on Reefcentral for one with a inTank cup, if not I will just get one new, but I do like the idea of the gnome skimmer too.

I've got an ato through my reef keeper now. I just sold the Tunze before I did that...DOH! It uses an aqualifter pump along with a electonic float switch and a module for the reef keeper. I will show you on Saturday. As far as the bubbles it was good for a day or so but then when I forgot to top off the tank the water level would drop just enough for the skimmer to stop getting any skimmate to the cup. I'm searching on Reefcentral for one with a inTank cup' date=' if not I will just get one new, but I do like the idea of the gnome skimmer too.[/quote']

I guess this is why i'm confused because if you have the aqualifter doing your top off, why do you need to top off also? I now have an RKL but just decided to have a seperate unit do topoff and save the extra plug spot. I still have to set mine up (its only monitoring PH and temp right now lol), I'll probe your brain about your setup on Saturday.

I'm getting te reef octopus bh1000 things pretty epic. I decided last night this thread had me up looking for skimmers lol. And the bh1000 definitely is one of the better HOB skimmers rated up to 90g and pulls GUNK! From vids on biocube 29 that I saw

Good skimmer but I really want to keep the concept simple and inside the chambers if possible.

What do you have in mind? Are you thinking airstone skimmer or something fancier?

fancier. some sort of pump driven unit. I'm doing research right now. Can't be too hard to build the chamber etc. I can't believe that everywhere I've searched there is always complaints on skimmers for this size tank. Would be nice to be able to make something that will function perfectly.

I'm very interested to see what you come up with. I'm surprised there aren't more smaller skimmers out there for nano tanks. Is scalability a problem with making skimmers really small? I would think there's a limit as to how small they can be and still have any level of efficiency since the biggest issues are bubble size and contact time with the water. Too small and you don't have enough contact time with the water.

I'm getting te reef octopus bh1000 things pretty epic. I decided last night this thread had me up looking for skimmers lol. And the bh1000 definitely is one of the better HOB skimmers rated up to 90g and pulls GUNK! From vids on biocube 29 that I saw

Look into the xp1000 hob or the lx 1000 hob. Those are the one of the best hob skimmers right now. The bh is a okay but you really want the bubble blaster pump, it changes the whole skimmer.

I'm very interested to see what you come up with. I'm surprised there aren't more smaller skimmers out there for nano tanks. Is scalability a problem with making skimmers really small? I would think there's a limit as to how small they can be and still have any level of efficiency since the biggest issues are bubble size and contact time with the water. Too small and you don't have enough contact time with the water.

Yeah but if you add a bubble plate inside along with the proper pump I don't see why it would be an issue.

The lx line is better then the bh. The pump on the bh is the weak point. You want the bubble blaster it puts the slimmer on an entire different level. The guy on RC is only one person and there are a ton of happy people rocking the lx 1000. If money is an issue i think you'll be fine with lesser of a skimmer but if you got the cash get the big dog and leave yourself some breathing room to over feed and what not.

What skimmer are you running on your biocube?

HTC EVO

I haven't been running a skimmer for the past 4 months or so. I had a tunze 9002 before I added the ato. I was tempted to try one again and still might but thinking about modding the aquaticlife unit sounds of interest as well. All of the skimmers are hit and miss at this size. I really don't want to use sump but that still might be an option.

The lx line is better then the bh. The pump on the bh is the weak point. You want the bubble blaster it puts the slimmer on an entire different level. The guy on RC is only one person and there are a ton of happy people rocking the lx 1000. If money is an issue i think you'll be fine with lesser of a skimmer but if you got the cash get the big dog and leave yourself some breathing room to over feed and what not.

On Biocubes? And imma give it a look