Best Skiimmer for Biocube

NoobtoSalt

Ok well I've had the Tunze 9002 for about 3-4 months now and I just can't seem to get it set properly with my tank. It's a great skimmer but between my modified skimmer cup and my water levels I'm struggling to get any sort of return on the value of this skimmer. Does anyone have any other suggestions on a small skimmer that will fit in the rear chambers of a 29 biocube? Or maybe someone on here could suggest how I make one. I've been tempted to build one myself that would fit in the middle chamber of the biocube.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try the Aquatic life 115 or the Biocube skimmer. I don't know if they are any better but remember them being another option. There is a thread on nano-reef about how to install the Aquatic life in a 29 gallon so the lid closes.

Edit: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=237995

I've been reading about that model as well on reef central etc. I've read mixed reviews on them. Most people say that the Tunze is the way to go but I just can't figure out why I'm not getting it to work properly. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I should consider an ATO for the tank to keep it consistant.

Yeah I would get one. I tried forever to get the skimmer to work in my old salana until I got the ATO. The skimmer worked great once the water level was constant.

I just sent an email to autotopoff.com. I think I'm going to try one of their automated units and see if it helps. anyone else on here use one from them? Should I get the dual setup or is the single more than adequate for a small tank like mine? I've always just used a gravity fed float valve but I'm thinking having this automated would be pretty nice.

will it fit in the first chamber when I had my skimmer I put it in the first chamber and the water level stays the same there =) I just dont know How big your skimmer is .

Just tried to get it in the first chamber with no luck. It's about 1 1/2" too wide. I know that the AquaticLife skimmer will fit in the first chamber so if the ATO that I get doesn't work I will probably sell the tunze and get that one. Kind of a good excuse to get the tank more automated anyways..(whistle)

I just sent an email to autotopoff.com. I think I'm going to try one of their automated units and see if it helps. anyone else on here use one from them? Should I get the dual setup or is the single more than adequate for a small tank like mine? I've always just used a gravity fed float valve but I'm thinking having this automated would be pretty nice.

I've got an autotopoff dual set up with electric solenoid running my RO/DI direct to sump. Their electric solenoid is a POS though (3 failures in 9 months), and I found a much better model through Grainger or the like that I could recommend. Power on 10 minutes or so 4-5 times a day and you're set. Constant water level definitely makes huge difference for skimmer performance.

I've got an autotopoff dual set up with electric solenoid running my RO/DI direct to sump. Their electric solenoid is a POS though (3 failures in 9 months)' date=' and I found a much better model through Grainger or the like that I could recommend. Power on 10 minutes or so 4-5 times a day and you're set. Constant water level definitely makes huge difference for skimmer performance.[/quote']

I'm also considering the JBJ unit or the Digital Aquatics setup but I still need to get an SL1 module for the reef keeper as well. Plus I'm not all that happy with DA right now on their customer service end on my ALC module. (sad)

That Tunze 9002 is supposed to be really good. I wanted to use one in my 10 gallon, but I'd have to sump it or switch to an AC110 HOB filter to make it fit, and I'm not sure if the AC110 will fit on my tank.

I recently installed a Tunze Osmolator ATO on my 10 gallon. It was one of the few that would fit in my tank an not look horrible. I particularly like the optical sensor. It keeps the water level within about a 1/4" range which keeps my salinity spot on. It also has a float switch to prevent overflow if something should happen to the sensor. It also has auto shut-off after a couple minutes if it doesn't reach full within that amount of time. I should probably restrict the flow from the pump to make use of that feature since it tops off my tank in about 10 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Try a diy ato. Or get a better skimmer. If you going to look into the actual biocube skimmer your going to want to mod it. And It's just as touchy to water levels as the tunze. I've been looking into the red sea Berlin lift 60 or 90. 3.5" in diameter. 16 inches tall. With a tetra deep water pump. Seems like a good combo. Look it up on YouTube.

HTC EVO

Google "MAME Skimmer" the real thing looks pricey but there are some youtube videos on making it. And over on R2R there are guys saying its one of the best.

That's the shiznit right there! And so simple. I'm making one. now to find that air pump from old my modified skilter from 1995...

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 months later...
Ok so I've been running without a skimmer for awhile now but now leaning towards getting one again. I'm looking at the hydor slim nano. Anyone here ever try one? I still might consider the mame

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

youtube mr.saltwater fishtank, and he talks all about the skimmer and how its quiet and he loves it. IMO it doesn work crazy well and you should be able to tell that by the price. imma go with either MAME like they said above or SWC i hate the tunze and i just havent needed a skimmer as my tank has been pretty clean with only water changes.

(like you said) i do one every two weeks though.

SWC's looks real nice and its not THHAAATT spendy

youtube mr.saltwater fishtank, and he talks all about the skimmer and how its quiet and he loves it. IMO it doesn work crazy well and you should be able to tell that by the price. imma go with either MAME like they said above or SWC i hate the tunze and i just havent needed a skimmer as my tank has been pretty clean with only water changes.

(like you said) i do one every two weeks though.

SWC's looks real nice and its not THHAAATT spendy

Swc will fit in the chambers?

what? its a hob

Yeah i saw that. I'm looking for either in the rear chambers or a nicer unit for a sump but again really considering the hydor. Tuze has a new model out this month but it won't fit in the chambers. Mame skimmers are nice but the gnome is the same thing just cheaper. Just looking for anyone local that had actually used them not just read articles Anna watched videos. I've had the tunze and it want terrible it just needed a perfect water level to skim properly. Now that i have an ato i might go back to the 9002 again.

Yeah i saw that. I'm looking for either in the rear chambers or a nicer unit for a sump but again really considering the hydor. Tuze has a new model out this month but it won't fit in the chambers. Mame skimmers are nice but the gnome is the same thing just cheaper. Just looking for anyone local that had actually used them not just read articles Anna watched videos. I've had the tunze and it want terrible it just needed a perfect water level to skim properly. Now that i have an ato i might go back to the 9002 again.

Yeah, do what you want as its your tank. But IMO 2 things you don't go cheap on are lights and skimmers.. The on,y thing the cheap ones are good for is making you realize you should have bought a nicer one in the first place