New(ish) to the hobby but hooked!!!!

Zotalpha

So I'm fairly new to keeping saltwater life. I've had freshwater tanks forever but one day stopped by ocean in a box... just to look! $300 later I had "everything" needed to turn a spare 55 into my first saltwater aquarium and a mad wife. I learned a lot and fish did great! But then it hit I NEEDED a yellow tang! So knowing that wouldn't do well long term in a 55 I went out and found me a deal on a 240. The new and much improved tank is doing great and has been up for about 3 months now the few fish are thriving. But now I can't stop googling hammer coral,zoanthid,sps, "cool coral"....... The list goes on and on. I'm excited to have a local team that can help me with all my "how do I keep this alive or maybe even thrive" questions!

Tank info

240 truvu

Dual 400w MH

Pacific coast skimmer

55 gallon sump with an extra 15 gallon refug

So yeah that's me and my new tank I hope I can learn a lot from all of you and turn this into a awesome reef

Thanks for your time

Zack

(welcome)

Its funny how most start off with fresh water and then go to the dark side......... I mean salt.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you think of, I know I have (whistle). There is a great group of people on this site and they have always been more than willing to help.

And yes, we all love pictures (naughty)

I guess I still need to figure out how to get some better pics on here... Brand new iPad nope. Droid phone nope... Ten year old Sony laptop success! Or at least kinda. Not the best pics I have ever taken.

Im at the point that i want to start filling this big guy with coral anybody have any ideas of what to start with? I really like flowing like coral hammers and torches. Any cool ideas?

Welcome to the site.

Something I never knew is that the hammers come in either branching, which you see commonly in most stores-(which grow fast and can out grow there place you have them) and then there are wall hammers which will grow far less quickly.

Less trouble not having to frag them or trade in for a smaller version-(clap)

In my experiance and opinion, stay away from blue cloves, GSP, and possibly xenia/kenya tree-

just my opinion

Welcome to the saltwater hobby and to this forum! For sure be wary of the green star polyps, kenya tree and also watch out for mushrooms as they can overgrow your tank. The best way to post pictures is to sign up for photobucket and download them there and then cut and past the img selection. Make sure you don't accidentally click the thumnai img spot as you will get tiny pictures.

Okay guys thanks for your help and words thus far I gave a quick overview of he tank before but I need help with some decisions that will eventually be coming out.

Here is what I've got

240 gallon corner overflow (love the tank)

A dual 27 gallon sump totaling 54 gallons (like the sump set up)

15gallon refug with sand bed (not. To sure if it worth the space it fill)

My return pump is a genx 1100ish gph feeding a spray bar(love the pump a little loud but not bad might ditch the spraybar A DQ for restricting flow. )

The skimmer is pasific coast eps-4000 (love it)

Power heads consist 4 aquatop 1320gph

Lighting 2 400w mh 5 hours a day and a couple of atenic compact flouresen ten hours a day

My fish are doing good so what's the next step dosing, reactors, controllers, wave box, and so on what would help me the most in the now

And feel free to tell me what I'm doing is completely wrong as long as it will help my litte ocean buddy's

I'm still working on getting some good pic up but if you live right down the road your more. Then welcome to come offer some advice.