Official 2012 SPS Growout Thread! Contestants post here!

Something bad has already happened to your frag.... It's in your tank instead of mine..(whistle)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Baaaaaaaaaa

I think I saw the elegant sizing it up, at least then it would be a fast death

LOL you have no idea...(laugh) Tank is packed pretty full yet again so many things that tiny little frag could fall into..(scary)

as far as par. Here's an old photo when I borrowed Smann's par meter. Frag is shaded so I'm guessing the par is about the same as the rest of you.

DSC08127ARW.jpg

It's officially the first and almost all the submissions are in! Good job everyone! I still have to get J-dog his frag. Once all entries are posted I will pick the best 5 and the group can vote on them to see wins the first prize of the contest.(clap)

LOL you have no idea...(laugh) Tank is packed pretty full yet again so many things that tiny little frag could fall into..(scary)

Bubblewrap.png

Hey Kim, remember to always use protection (naughty) For your frag of course, wait that doesn't sound any better (laugh)

Here's mine!

250 gal acrylic tank, 250 MH radium w/VHO, Calcium reactor, kalk, will put it about 250-300 par area (lower rock)

looks to be about 12mm

GOCfrag-1.jpg

and yes he is always front and center when the camera comes out!

Nice goby in the background.

We can cut our rulers? It would make it loads easier

Here's mine!

250 gal acrylic tank, 250 MH radium w/VHO, Calcium reactor, kalk, will put it about 250-300 par area (lower rock)

looks to be about 12mm

GOCfrag-1.jpg

and yes he is always front and center when the camera comes out!

Blue team rules! Red rulers are for those contestants who have a big red target on their frag!! You're going down red rulers!(rock2)(rock2) Besides Smann is diqualified for altering his ruler...:p Just kidding Steve!(laugh)(laugh)Oh and by the way I won't lose sleep if people want to cut the end of the ruler off just be careful...

Blue team rules! Red rulers are for those contestants who have a big red target on their frag!! You're going down red rulers!(rock2)(rock2) Besides Smann is diqualified for altering his ruler...:p Just kidding Steve!(laugh)(laugh)Oh and by the way I won't lose sleep if people want to cut the end of the ruler off just be careful...

Blue rulers and blue font...... LAME!

I'm assuming Beth must have mailed you a red ruler...(scratch)(laugh) Oh and to keep things interesting, for some reason in the pack of rulers we ordered there was one yellow ruler... Maybe I should offer that up as a prize?

True blue all the way! I would rather be dead than red!

I have a 120 AGA RR. I have about a 40 gallon sump, so Im guessing about 160 total water minus rock and sand, with a third of the sump being a refugium. I run 3 AI Sol Blues (I need a 4th). I run a Eheim 1242 for return and 2 Ecotech MP40W ES' for flow. I have a Geo calcium reactor, run GFO, do weekly water changes w/ Aquavitro Salinity, and have a Bubbleking 180 Gen2 skimmer. I think that's about everything. Oh yah, good luck to all....... You're gonna need it. I'm gonna put the LED debate to rest. My frag looks to be a bit larger that most I've seen on here. It's right around 14 or 15 MM. I'll let you guys decide:)

attachment.php?attachmentid=12649&d=1336076871

In that case, I'll post a better picture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12652[/ATTACH]

I'm going to call it at 9mm. (clap)

post-6468-141867761721_thumb.jpg

I see there's a lot of stiff competition here but you all are going down!!!(threaten)

About the tank:

It's a plain old 120g AGA/Marineland tank with sump/fuge totaling ~150g. For rock I have about 70lbs of Pukani with about 60lbs of Reef Crystals Sand

Filtration: The drilled overflow runs into 2 socks and a Reef Octopus NWB200 skimmer. I run GFO and GAC through separate reactors fed by the Mag 12 return pump.

For circulation I'm running a 3600gph closed loop powered by a Reeflo Dart

Lighting is a 6 bulb TEK. All bulbs are about 4 months old.

Blue+

Blue+

Geisman Daylight

Fiji+

Blue+

Blue+

The only dosing I'm doing with my light SPS load is Kalk in the ATO

Current Params; Temp: 79, Gravity: 1.025, PH:8.0, Alk:8.6, NO3: 0, PO4: .03, Cal: 420, Mag: 1300

And Now, Introducing Your Next World Champion!!!!

Fighting for Team Blue Ruler!!

SLIMY THE MINI FRAG!!!!!!!!!!!! (kneel)

SlimerFrag-1.jpg

The Frag will be planted mid tank about half way up

I may submit a pic with the cut ruler thing... I'm not totally happy with the pic and it was a pain in the ***

Main Tank:

160 gallon 60"x24"x30" Black Back. It has a single 1 1/2" over flow witch goes to a single 1" return split to two 1" Flow Accelerators on opposite sides of the tank for more flow since it loses a bunch of pressure with all the piping and 90degree angles. The sump is a 100gallon Rubbermaid stock tank which I upgraded the bulk head to a aquarium bulk head. I am guessing I have about 180-200lbs of rock in the main tank and about another 100 or so in the sump.

Frag Tank:

This is also plumbed to a frag tank which is I think about 22 gallons or so that is 25"x15"x12" with a 1" over flow and 1" return.

I think I have about 230 gallons or so of working water in the whole system. OH and I think I should add the frag tank and sump are in my garage. And last but not least I have an Apex controller running the system.

Salt: I have been using Kent Marine Reef Salt Mix since the day I started in this hobby about 4-5 years ago.

Lighting:

Main Tank: Currently 1-250w radium hooked up to a dual 250w Blue Wave Hqi ballast. And a DIY 45 bulb Phoenix kit which consists of 24 XP-E Royal Blue / 6 Blue / 15 Cool White Ran by 3 Inventronics Dimmable drivers from reefledlights. And 2 48" Actinic Blue VHO T-12 110w florescent bulb by Pacific Coast Imports ran by a IceCap 660 VHO Electronic Fluorescent Ballast (120v)

Frag Tank:

DIY 24 bulb XP-E kit 16 Royal Blue / 8 Cool White ran by 2 Inventronics Dimmable drivers.

LED'S on both kits are the Premium XP-E's I guess I should add.

Lighting time:

Main Tank

VHO run from 10:30am-midnight

Halide Noon-10pm

Blue LED's 10:30am-midnight

White LED's noon-10pm

Single Moon light midnight-3am

Frag Tank:

Blue LED's 10:30am-3am

White noon-midnight

Flow:

Return pump Reeflo Snapper hybrid pump Maximum Flow Rate: 2500 - 3600gph

2-MP40W ES Vortechs 1004-3170 GPH ea. Both MP40's are set on Reef Crest mode at full bore and go in to night mode at midnight.

Skimmer:

ATB Standard (Econo) Cone 840 Revision 2.0 Protein Skimmer.

Seamless molded body, Highly polished edges, Removable base plate for easy cleaning

THIS JUST SOUNDS DIRTY

Drain on skimmer cup

8″diameter cone with a 3.75″ neck

Footprint 10.5L x14W x20H

21 watts total power consumption

Single Sicce syncra pump

Air Draw ~ 700 to 800l/hr

Rated for tanks up to 249 gallons

Dosing:

Doser: Bubble Magus BM-T01 Dosing Pump

Dose: Alk, Calcium, and Magnesium

Alk- 260ml per day

Calcium- 260ml per day

Magnesium- 100ml per day

Alkalinity Supplement:Soda Ash (Sodium Carbonate) for Aquariums

Calcium Supplement: Calcium Chloride for Aquariums

Magnesium Supplement:Magnesium Chloride for Aquariums & Magnesium Sulfate for Aquariums

All of these Supplements I mix come from BRS

Misc Other Equipment:

I am running 2 of the Deluxe BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor. One of them is running the Seachem PhosGuard (Phosphate/Silicate Control) and the other is running BRS Activated Lignite Carbon (Large).

And also in the sump I am running a Hydor Koralia 4

Supplements:

BRIGHTWELL AQUATICS IODION (IODIDE): I dose about 20ml a week if I remember.

TWO LITTLE FISHIES SEA ELEMENTS: I dose about 10ml a week if I remember this one as well.

Heater/Chiller:

2- 400w heaters turn on at I think I have it at 76.5 right now and turn off at 78.5degrees.

1/4 HP Chiller Turns on at like 79.8 or so and off at 78degrees. But since I have went to LED's the chiller does not really ever turn on. We will see if that is the same this summer?

Current water parameters:

Alk- 8.56

Calcium- 407

Mg- Will do test in the next few days and post

SG- 1.024-1.025

Frag position:

Currently on a frag rack about 8 inches from the top of the frag tank for the picture. But will be in the main tank other than for the pictures at about 12" from the top of the water under the Phoenix LED light.

Corals001-1.jpg

I guess I should use a picture that was not taken with my phone.

I WIN THATS THE NAME OF THIS GAME!!!

--------------------------------------------------(drinking)

And this Is to all of you with the kneel((kneel)) figure and I guess anyone that has got a jump start on the trash talking

--------(puke)---------(puke)---------(puke)---------(puke)---------(puke)---------(puke)---------(puke)---------(puke)

I THINK I AM DONE NOT SURE?? (scratch)

LOL nice write ups and trash talking everyone.(clap)(clap) There should be only one picture left and that is J-dog. Just so everyone knows. If he is past the post date I will make an exception. I was supposed to leave his frag on my porch yesterday morning and I forgot...DOH!(shy) I am getting his frag to him Saturday. Sorry Rashaan! Lots of good submissions. Once J-Dog posts I will select the 5 writeups/pictures I think are the best and we can vote on them to see who wins the first prize which again is your choice of disc, tee, or natural frag plugs:

DSC00878ARW.jpg

I do think we need clarification on the food thing, but frankly, that might be a trade secret for some and I feel like we should keep that to ourselves. It also seems that people are making plans to move the frag around or change their setups. The rules seem to say that that is a no-no. So, I guess it would be good to know what we can change and what we cannot change whatsoever. (nono) Should we just put it to a vote when people come to the group to make significant changes to their setups or does the fraggrowoutfuhrer decide? (threaten)

Finally, I had some free time today, so, I started a tracking spreadsheet to see what everyone has. You can check it out on here and I will update it as we go along. If I got your info wrong or if you would like to offer more info than you initially offered, then feel free to PM me (best) the info or post it on here (okay). There is no obligation for anything aside from what the fraggrowoutfuhrer already asked for.

I will add the start measurement as well. There are some things on the spreadsheet that were not asked for in the write-up, but that I think are important to know. Like salt and water change frequency and any media that you use. Some people offered it, some not so much. I just think these might be good to know.

.....It also seems that people are making plans to move the frag around or change their setups. The rules seem to say that that is a no-no. So, I guess it would be good to know what we can change and what we cannot change whatsoever. (nono) Should we just put it to a vote when people come to the group to make significant changes to their setups or does the fraggrowoutfuhrer decide? (threaten)

That brings up a good point, and you are correct, but I think its a just a wrong choice of word and not to be taken in a literal sense. In reading it over the word should be "system"

But first the rule;

4. The frags must remain on the original plug. You may modify the plug if needed example cutting off the stem for placement. You may place the frag anywhere you want in your tank and you may move it to a different spot during the competition but you cannot move it to a new tank as the point is to see how the frag does over time in different systems.

I have not been reading all the posts so I am not sure how many are thinking of moving it to "different" systems so I will just address my system.

My main tank and my frag tank are all plumbed to the same one system, so in essence if I decide to move mine it would not be going into a different "system" just a different "spot" within the same system. (you may be asking yourself, how times can I type system in one thread or sentence so here we go

system, system, system, system, systemsystem, system, system, system, system, system, system, system, system, system -(backtotopic)

Anyway I interrupt the rule as moving the frag into a seperate (here comes that word again) system or tank which I really dont mind, but it seems to go against the rule.

I will avoid the controversy (since I hate confrontation) and move my frag into my main tank before the deadline of the 7th-(rock2)

after that I wil suppost kicking anyone out that moves there frag anywhere-(whistle) (J/K)

Kris if you are reading this-you are going down you **** **** **** **** **** **** ****er (agree)

first post updated with this pic;

IMG_3669.jpg

Oh, and for what its worth...........

RED ROCKS-(rock2)

Blue Blows-(puke)[ATTACH=CONFIG]12661[/ATTACH](puke)[ATTACH=CONFIG]12661[/ATTACH](puke)

post-5980-141867761727_thumb.gif

Not a problem Kim, I'm just happy u are bringing it over and making an exception for me (shy). This will be the first coral going into my new tank....it will probably die, but u never know. I guess it will be my GOC and tester frag. Hopefully it survives and I can talk some $@&$(@!* too (censored). Cya on saturday

I do think we need clarification on the food thing, but frankly, that might be a trade secret for some and I feel like we should keep that to ourselves. It also seems that people are making plans to move the frag around or change their setups. The rules seem to say that that is a no-no. So, I guess it would be good to know what we can change and what we cannot change whatsoever. (nono) Should we just put it to a vote when people come to the group to make significant changes to their setups or does the fraggrowoutfuhrer decide? (threaten)

Finally, I had some free time today, so, I started a tracking spreadsheet to see what everyone has. You can check it out on here and I will update it as we go along. If I got your info wrong or if you would like to offer more info than you initially offered, then feel free to PM me (best) the info or post it on here (okay). There is no obligation for anything aside from what the fraggrowoutfuhrer already asked for.

I will add the start measurement as well. There are some things on the spreadsheet that were not asked for in the write-up, but that I think are important to know. Like salt and water change frequency and any media that you use. Some people offered it, some not so much. I just think these might be good to know.

Fraggrowut fuhrer! I love it!(clap)(clap) I'm a pretty laid back growout fuhrer. Awesome spreadsheet Omar!(clap)(clap) Great idea! Congrats I'm giving you a bag of frag plugs! I don't feel strongly about moving the frag around. This contest will go for 4 months and a lot can happen. Also people make changes often too be it jumping on the LED bandwagon or upgrading their tank. The main thing is just to update the change. If others feel strongly we can take it to a vote. Those Red ruler peeps can be a little whiny...:p

As far as supplements some people may want to keep it hush hush and get all spy crazy....no worries though(nono) I have secretly replaced all their supplements with folgers coffee and have put up secret spy cams... shhhhhhhhh(laugh)(laugh)

That brings up a good point, and you are correct, but I think its a just a wrong choice of word and not to be taken in a literal sense. In reading it over the word should be "system"

But first the rule;

4. The frags must remain on the original plug. You may modify the plug if needed example cutting off the stem for placement. You may place the frag anywhere you want in your tank and you may move it to a different spot during the competition but you cannot move it to a new tank as the point is to see how the frag does over time in different systems.

I have not been reading all the posts so I am not sure how many are thinking of moving it to "different" systems so I will just address my system.

My main tank and my frag tank are all plumbed to the same one system, so in essence if I decide to move mine it would not be going into a different "system" just a different "spot" within the same system. (you may be asking yourself, how times can I type system in one thread or sentence so here we go

system, system, system, system, systemsystem, system, system, system, system, system, system, system, system, system -(backtotopic)

Anyway I interrupt the rule as moving the frag into a seperate (here comes that word again) system or tank which I really dont mind, but it seems to go against the rule.

I will avoid the controversy (since I hate confrontation) and move my frag into my main tank before the deadline of the 7th-(rock2)

after that I wil suppost kicking anyone out that moves there frag anywhere-(whistle) (J/K)

Kris if you are reading this-you are going down you **** **** **** **** **** **** ****er (agree)

first post updated with this pic;

IMG_3669.jpg

Oh, and for what its worth...........

RED ROCKS-(rock2)

Blue Blows-(puke)[ATTACH=CONFIG]12661[/ATTACH](puke)[ATTACH=CONFIG]12661[/ATTACH](puke)

I would rather be blue than spew....(puke)(puke)(puke)(puke) Off with the heads of all the reds!(rock2)(rock2)

Not a problem Kim' date=' I'm just happy u are bringing it over and making an exception for me (shy). This will be the first coral going into my new tank....it will probably die, but u never know. I guess it will be my GOC and tester frag. Hopefully it survives and I can talk some $@&$(@!* too (censored). Cya on saturday[/quote']

Yes I will definitely see you Saturday and your oh so fancy and official ruler.. what color will it be....(plotting)

I really hope this works. This is for you brad.

(popcorn) Click Me

th_mooning.jpg

-----------(laugh)