New camera pics...

reefgeek84

So I finally got a D-SLR...I picked up a Nikon D40, as I have been wanting a good camera. Everyone said that you can get the same sort of pics with a P&S...but I was not getting anything that I wanted with my P&S. So I stepped up and got the D-SLR. All I can say is, the best money ever spent...I have not even had a chance to really learn how to use it, but it has already made a difference. These are just a couple of quick pics, no tri-pod, water pumps, etc. and a lens that is not a marco lens by any means...

So here they are...

Purple Lemonade Monti...

Purplelemonademontibase.jpg

Acro.Gozmei

agozmei.jpg

Very nice pics. This is just with the kit lens? I can't wait to see what you can do with a macro...

-Sol

PS Did you get my PM? Even though things didn't work out this weekend I'm still interested...

Yes, just with the lens kit, 18mm-55mm lens...so it does not offer much of a zoom capability. I am waiting for sigma to come out with a macro lens for this camera...

No, I never got your PM for some reason....

Reefgeek,

If your looking for some good lens without breaking the bank check out www.mpex.com they have some pretty good deals on camera stuff.

Thank you, great site...the only issue with my camera is that, nikon did not put an auto focus in the body of the camera, so the lens needs to have that functionality. Not that it makes much of a difference, as most people manual focus for macro shots anyways...but I want to see what sigma comes out with and prices...if I can get an AF-S lens for around the same price I would rather go that route...but I may get a little antsy and just get a non-auto-focus lens...LOL.

Thank you' date=' great site...the only issue with my camera is that, nikon did not put an auto focus in the body of the camera, so the lens needs to have that functionality. Not that it makes much of a difference, as most people manual focus for macro shots anyways...but I want to see what sigma comes out with and prices...if I can get an AF-S lens for around the same price I would rather go that route...but I may get a little antsy and just get a non-auto-focus lens...LOL.[/quote']

Skip the sigma lens and grab the Nikkor. I picked up a 60mm prime lens, f/2.8 for $300 on ebay. It's macro and is ultra sharp when I manage to get my focus right. :D

Yeah, having used both the Tamron 90mm and Nikkor 105mm, I'd not want anything shorter than the 90mm for aquarium photography. I'd take the Nikkor over the Tamron, except for the price.

Nice pics reefgeek, looks the new camera is making you happy.

Yeah, having used both the Tamron 90mm and Nikkor 105mm, I'd not want anything shorter than the 90mm for aquarium photography. I'd take the Nikkor over the Tamron, except for the price.

Yes, making me very happy...You have a PM with another question. Andy helped me so much in figuring this whole camera world out...I PM's him multiple times a day asking him questions, so thanks again andy.

Yeah I can see the 60 being a little limiting - but I also bought it to be my default lens since it's so sharp :)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm getting about 4:1 crap to decent shots right now. Of the good shots' date=' maybe 1 in 20 or 30 are really wow-worthy.[/quote']

Yeah, I am in the same boat as you...Thank god these are digital...much cheaper and alot less time consuming. LOL.

Play with the Manual setting a little. Being able to adjust things manual seem's to take more time but once your set up is right yoou can click away. Also White Balance is huge. That 105mm is a sweet lens. You'll get some awsome shot's when you get everything tweaked out.