Combining fish from two tanks?

siskiou

I've been having a lot of equipment go out lately, and don't have the resources to replace it all, so I'm taking down the 60G cube, and have added the 4 fish (1 ocellaris, 3 cardinals) to the 120G (1 pink skunk clown, 1 chromis, 1 blue tang).

I rearranged the rock work in the 120G substantially, and added the fish from the 60G in the evening, with lights out.

Today, the cardinals are fine, but the skunk is not leaving the ocellaris alone for long, sometimes bringing the tang and chromis along as reinforcements. So far, nobody is injured, and it's all posturing and chasing.

Is this likely to settle down, or should I take one of the clowns out?

Both are of similar size (which is probably not a good thing) and both want to live in the same corner.

Am currently having a net in the tank to distract everyone, and it's working for now, but likely not for long.

if both clowns are relatively old, they're probably both female which is probably the problem. not sure what to say to help, decent chance it'll calm down in time, but maybe not. any nemes? giving them both a spot they're happy to call home would help. seems like a 120 should be big enough for two females...

maybe worth trading one of the clowns in to a store for a juvenile

Yes, I'm sure they are both females. The ocellaris is about 8 years old, and the skunk about 5.

There are plenty of good spots. No nems, but both have hosted in anything from zoas to hammers, rics etc. There is plenty to choose from, but both consider the same corner to be *the* spot.

I'm going to leave the lights off, unless I'm home to watch, and hope things settle over the next few days. Otherwise, one will move into a 10G.

I'm not sure with clowns. When I added a new wrasse my eight line went nuts. I ended up doing a two day lights out along with a new rockscape. After that they calmed down dramaticly. Now they swim through the tank together and even gang up on my tang

I added a YW Goby to my tank after having an established Sixline Wrasse in there, it took at least 24 hours for the sixline to chill out. She even got torqued about a new turbo snail in her tank. As always, she chills out after a day and ignores the new tank mates. She mostly just postures. No physical altercations.

I turned out the lights, but it's still pretty bright in the room, even with the shades down.

Gave them a good lecture, but my "teacher" voice doesn't seem to work with fish. ;)

I hope things will improve with time.

No wounds on anyone yet, but my nerves are frazzled!

We've had these fish for years, and don't want anything to happen to either one.

The chromis, who is usually a wimp, is worse than "Pinky" right now.

The three cardinals have absolutely no trouble. Nobody cares about *them* swimming around, not even the tang.

I turned out the lights, but it's still pretty bright in the room, even with the shades down.

Gave them a good lecture, but my "teacher" voice doesn't seem to work with fish. ;)

I hope things will improve with time.

No wounds on anyone yet, but my nerves are frazzled!

We've had these fish for years, and don't want anything to happen to either one.

The chromis, who is usually a wimp, is worse than "Pinky" right now.

The three cardinals have absolutely no trouble. Nobody cares about *them* swimming around, not even the tang.

Mabe you could cover the tank to reduce the light level a bit.

if its at all possible i would add two nems to the tank one on each side, my father in law has a 125 and has added different clowns at different times and has always had several nems at different sides i loved watching them swim to the middle of the tank and all rush at eachother and then run away hiding in thier nems they never hurt eachother but loved to have thier disputes in the middle of the tank very entertaining

Mabe you could cover the tank to reduce the light level a bit.

Good idea! Have hung a blanket across the front.

if its at all possible i would add two nems to the tank one on each side' date=' [/quote']

I've stayed away from nems, since I don't want to find them stinging the sps, or getting stuck in a pump. Hopefully, they will get things worked out without nems. I know what you mean about the rushing at each other!

Just an update: the fish have all settled in and apart from an occasional short chase, everyone is getting along and has found their own territory.

I did a two day lights-out, only turning on the lights for a few minutes each day to feed, and then let them sort things out.