Swollen lips on my Melanurus Wrasse

Derbird

Hello everyone.

When I came home from work tonight I noticed that my Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres Melanurus) had swollen lips (scratch). When I left for work this morning everyone was looking just fine. No other fish or inverts are showing any unusual behaviors or signs.

He is still eating (like a pig) and pecking at the live rock as he normaly does.

Sorry for the bad pix DOH!

Lips.jpg

Lips2.jpg

My first thought was he stuck his mouth in to a coral or nem to steal there breakfast but I thought I should ask anyways just to be safe.

Thank you for your help (fish) (booboo)

Looks like he bit off more than he could chew....literally. (laugh)

You have no idea. This guy is frearless. When I feed my Wellso brain I have to gard it. I have seen him stick his whole head inside it to steal the mysis. Gotta love wrasses.

That is so sad. It used to be lip implants and other unnecessary plastic surgery was only for the ladies but lately it's way more popular in males. Fish should accept their bodies as they are and not go in for this sort of thing, which can also be dangerous and cost a lot of clams. The irony of this sort of thing is that, yes, it makes your wrasse look big.

That is so sad. It used to be lip implants and other unnecessary plastic surgery was only for the ladies but lately it's way more popular in males. Fish should accept their bodies as they are and not go in for this sort of thing' date=' which can also be dangerous and cost a lot of clams. The irony of this sort of thing is that, yes, it makes your wrasse look big.[/quote']

can I get a ROFL...bravo Kate. one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time!

:D

That is so sad. It used to be lip implants and other unnecessary plastic surgery was only for the ladies but lately it's way more popular in males. Fish should accept their bodies as they are and not go in for this sort of thing' date=' which can also be dangerous and cost a lot of clams. The irony of this sort of thing is that, yes, it makes your wrasse look big.[/quote']

rofl Good one. I didn't go with the fabulous 80's colors of the six line but still got the premadona (laugh)

UPDATE

He is still swollen today but he is swimming just fine and still ate everyone's breakfast for them. He is so helpful. I think he just got too "friendly" with the coral or nem or maybe a britle worm (I have never seen one but I probably have them). No worse so I'm taking this as a good sign ;)

Looks like he is suffering from a bad case of duckface. Often this is brought on by excessive fake tanning or makeup, and tends to occur more when cameras are out (which is what may have happened to the wrasse). It is most common in avid facebook users. Here is a link to some more information:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/duck-face

Sadly, I have not heard of a cure yet. Hopefully it is just a generational thing and will pass with time. Best of luck!

I posted this up on Reef Frontiers as well they do agree with the bristle worm, but this responce I have to share

Bar fight! These fish are notorious for sneaking out for a late night drink and they don't hold their liquor very well. Probably got a little tipsy, said something cocky to some girl, and got punched in the face by her boyfriend. You should probably check that your car keys are where you left them and that he didn't run you out of gas. Fish never have money to pay for the gas they burn on their little joy rides to the bar.

(laugh)

Amost as good as Electrokate's

Archived