Desperate for computer help

WAVES

I have a pretty major computer issue with my home machine. it the process of removing the malware smitfraud-c I had a problem and it resulted in some of my hard drives partitions becoming hidden. now when I boot the computer I get the error "autochk not found" the computer then reboots and the result is an endless cycle of reboots.

ive removed the HD from the machine and ive got it in my machine here at Waves but I cannot find anything that will help me unhide this partition thing.

Any ideas or help? Store credit for sure to anyone that can come in and help me fix it.

Joel, You may be SOL... but i would be willing to hook it to my system and try to copy it off for you if you want. I may be able to fine the partitions as well but i would need to work it on my system (I know mine is stable and i wouldn't want to damage your work system.)

drop me a message if you want.

remove the partition in control panel -> admin tools -> comp management -> disk management -> delete the partition, reboot and repartition and format it.

if that don't work you will need to use partition magic or the disk management software that is intended for that drive.

now when I boot the computer I get the error "autochk not found" the computer then reboots and the result is an endless cycle of reboots.

Any ideas or help?

I got an idea: buy a new computer? (laugh) or get one built for you. I had a friend build my mom's computer for less than $250, three years and still running good, no problems.

I'm sure you've already done a lot of reading but here are some links I found that may help:

http://www.suggestafix.com/index.php?showtopic=22539

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7746.html

well,,, Ive bought a new HD and reinstalled the OS, with the help of Dsoz son. I am able to get the data off of it so no big lost, just reinstalling software etc is the only pain.

Im pretty sure the drive is crapping out, Im probably lucky this happen since I am still able to get data off the drive. Ive got the old and new in the machine now so Ill be able to slowly find and move all my data, mostly worried about my .pst stuff for outlook.

thanks for the thoughts. We did use partition manager software but it wasnt enough to do the trick, I think although the signs lead to the partition issue I think its more just the drive crapping out.

should be all good now, just lost time and $100 for a new drive :)

Thanks Shaun, I didnt lose any data though. I have both drives in the machine and will be moving stuff over. Ill then reformat the old one and see if it shows up with "bad sectors". I dont really need that one though,,, Ill probably distroy it.

it sure is nice having a fresh windows install, its like buying a new computer. What is it with windoz and its slowly decreasing in effeciency. its like once you install and uninstall a few times with any other software windows just gets slower and slower. Where in the manual does it say "reinstallation every 2 years is necissary to work at a relativly decent speed"?

The fresh install just doubled the speed of the machine.