Adding another wrasse to the tank

frankb

I am planning to buy a pair of melanurus wrasses from nhowe (only if nhowe decides to part and I get the first dip (whistle)). After posting, I just realize that I have a big lunare wrasse in my tank. According to LiveAquaria, it is a very aggressive fish and should be the last one to be added to the tank. I just don't know whether they are compatible or not? Will they be picked on by this lunare wrasse? By the way, it is the only wrasse in my tank right now.

It will depend on the new ones size as well. If they're bigger it won't be as bad. I would recommend getting an acclimation box and going that route. You can see how much your lunare is going to care that way. I would think you are going to have some problems though.

+1 to the acclimation box idea. Then they can get used to seeing each other without being able to take a bite of each other.

Also, putting the new fish in when the lights go out will help, too. It worked when I added my goby in with my sixline. She had about 5 minutes to inspect the goby and get upset, then it was off to bed for her. We monitored them all the next day and no problems beyond posturing. Now they get along great.

The tricky thing is that every fish is different, so your mileage will always vary.

might be a coincidence but I had an aggression problem with my male melanurus and he literally chilled out when I dropped the temperature of the tank to 76... almost all the fish are mellower, except the black clowns which like it that cool. The clowns have to move out of that tank, they are pure trouble.

When I added my melanurus wrasse I had to keep my lights off for two days before my eight line would tollorate him. Eight lines are also pretty aggressive. The eight line was still a brat and picked on him for about a week but now they will swim together and gang up on my tang DOH!

I would do a super heavy feeding and turn off the lights. Wait for the lunar to go to bed (if they sleep in the sand at least) and then add the new ones. To be safe I would keep the lights off for a couple days. It will help keep algea down anyways .

I hope this helps :)

Archived