Can someone help me build a sump?

reefgeek84

I really want to build a custom sump for my tank, however i live in an apartment and lack the tools to cut the plastic and anything else that is required. I was curious if anyone would lend a helping hand...Ill buy you some beer and food and if need be pay you for your time, and of course pay for all materials...I am trying to do this a cheap as possible, so anyone that might be interested in helping me please let me know.

Thank you,

Brandon

Well I found out that Lowes has plastic and will cut it for free if you buy the sheets..So on my lucnh I went over there and got it cut...I still need to go to Tap plastics and get the epoxy for it, but this should be very interesting..and expensive project if I screw up (fingers) ...but If it works it will be only 60 bucks for a 20 gallon sump with 3 chambers. (fingers)

Its plexiglass' date=' not acrylic IIRC. I think that plexi is open cell, that allows particles to get into the plastic and discolor it. I could be wrong, hopefully someone will chime in.[/quote']

It will not hurt anything will it? I do not care about it discoloring (although that is good to know) as it will be below the tank...I really hope I did not just waste 60 bucks.

It will be ok for a sump as long as you build it strong with lots of support.

If it doesn't work out let me know and you can come over and build one at my house. I have 1/4" cast acrylic that is very good for sumps and the tools needed to complete it.

Rich

It will be ok for a sump as long as you build it strong with lots of support.

If it doesn't work out let me know and you can come over and build one at my house. I have 1/4" cast acrylic that is very good for sumps and the tools needed to complete it.

Rich

Yeah, I will need to do that, Lowes sucks at cutting nothing lines up!!!

I will take you up on that, PM sent.