Refugium Light question

kknight

I have a Coralife Refugium light that is a year old. Do I need to change the bulbs before they burn out ? It came with 10,000 6 wt t5 and Actinic 6 wt t5 bulb. The light sits on a Aqueon sump. I run the light 12 hours per day

Thanks for the help

IMAG0228.jpg

not quite an expert, but I'd say it depends on what you're doing it for. if you're growing macro (chaeto or caulerpa or something), then you probably don't, maybe every 2 years at most would be my thought. Also, if it's for macro, that actinic isn't doing much, I would replace it with a 6500K-10000K bulb.

that said, if you're wanting to grow corals/etc in there, then my answers would change completely

I'd shoot for a 6500K bulb, they're closest to the sun's light and should be best for chaeto growth.

Also, a boring CFL 'daylight' bulb from HD does pretty well, I'll be lighting my sump/fuge with two 27w CFL ("100w equivalent") bulbs in clamp lights. bulbs are about $10/pair and the clamp lights cheap too...

I like the clamp lamps for fuges...usually you dont really show them off anyways...there is a bulb that similates natural sunlight...a little better than the softwhites or "daylights." Most bulbs you get for home use are anywhere from 3-5k. I think these are around 5600. I have used them personally and they crank out chaeto

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202184509/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=ecosmart+sunlight&storeId=10051

good find, Mike.

Just did a web search, found this 42-watter that's listed as 6500K (ideal for macro):

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100661903/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=daylight+CFL&storeId=10051

as a side note, the idea is that most corals actually grow better in 6500K light than the higher spectrums we usually run. They don't look as pretty, but they grow better. so I'm thinking I'll try putting some frags in my fuge to see how they do (guard them from getting the macro's shade). I figure I can move them to blue-er lighting once they're the size I want?

I'd shoot for a 6500K bulb, they're closest to the sun's light and should be best for chaeto growth.

Also, a boring CFL 'daylight' bulb from HD does pretty well, I'll be lighting my sump/fuge with two 27w CFL ("100w equivalent") bulbs in clamp lights. bulbs are about $10/pair and the clamp lights cheap too...

I wish we would of know of this site before I purchased a bunch of fancy equipment. We were new and went to Wet Pets , they said get this and we said okay. :)

thanks I might do that . They do not make a 6500k for the coralife mini . Just 10' date='000 and Actinic....... But then again I could get an nano (whistle)[/quote']

Do it! LOL. Maybe a coldwater nano (naughty)

as a side note, the idea is that most corals actually grow better in 6500K light than the higher spectrums we usually run. They don't look as pretty, but they grow better. so I'm thinking I'll try putting some frags in my fuge to see how they do (guard them from getting the macro's shade). I figure I can move them to blue-er lighting once they're the size I want?

This is true. It also has to do with intensity. You will almost always see more PAR and lumens from a lesser kelvin rating of the same wattage. For example, take 250 watt halides. I bet a 6500k is close to double the intensity of a 20k. Green houses get a similar effect with winter/summer shifts.

I would guess though that the accelerated growth you get in lower kelvins will be cancelled out by the adjustment time/energy needed to switch to higher kelvins

I run 4 6500k compact floresent spiral type bulbs, all wired together with seperate switches. I also run my fuge lights about 16 hours a day. And macros grow like crazy in there. The only place i have seen the 6500k bulbs was at Bi-Mart.

Archived