www.ColdwaterMarineAquatics.com We got a site now, can I be a sponsor yet ;)

AquaticEngineer

WOW. I need a cold water tank. Those nems alone are worth setting one up! And those barnicles are out of this world.

Edit

Are these animals compatible with each other. I'm guessing no to the star with barnicles but what about the shrimp with the fish? I'm not sure if "Reef Safe" applies here :)

Are these animals compatible with each other. I'm guessing no to the star with barnicles but what about the shrimp with the fish? I'm not sure if "Reef Safe" applies here :)

The starfish is okay as long as its not with any other mollusks or bivalves, those he will eat. Anemones they wont touch. If you do a nano sized tank, then most of the sculpins are small enough to go with the shrimp just fine. I'll have to coin a new term like "Tidepool Safe" or something to explain what can go together, lol.

Sweet looking stuff. My biocube is already full so maybe I can convince the wife to setup a small cold water tank....(whistle)

Check out www.Micro-Reefs.com I just sent him livestock for one of his temperate pico tanks.

There's a typo in your facebook link....
Thanks, lol. Fixed it ;)

How thick does the glass need to be for a coldwater...and does it need to be big? as in water volume to dilute out having to feed alot? It would be awesome' date=' to see a write up of what is needed and expected of these tanks...[/quote']

I'd stick with an acrylic tank just for the insulating factor. Thicker is better, but not necessary if you know what environment your keeping your tank in. If your tank is in a house that is a constant temperature and humidity year round then you can figure out exactly what temperature your tank would need to be at to develop condensation. Look at http://www.dpcalc.org to figure out temp / humidity / dew point.

You can do a small tank, heck I have 3 shrimp, mussels, algae, tigriopus, and some tidal anemones living in a room temperature jar with just natural sunlight. Let me know what kind of tank you want to have in the end and we can help you get there :D

I like Tidepool safe, pretty cleaver.

We have a older home with wood heat. There is no way I'm going to be able to regulate the indoor heat all that well. Is there a way around the dew on the tank?

How would you set up one of these tanks, sump, live rock / sand, almost put heater (laugh). I'm very courious about this.

I tried to google this but all I got was people asking the same questions DOH!

I like Tidepool safe, pretty cleaver.

We have a older home with wood heat. There is no way I'm going to be able to regulate the indoor heat all that well. Is there a way around the dew on the tank?

How would you set up one of these tanks, sump, live rock / sand, almost put heater (laugh). I'm very courious about this.

I tried to google this but all I got was people asking the same questions DOH!

Good Resources for coldwater info are:

www.temperatereef.forumotion.org

BioTopes Forum on Nano-Reef

In your case the best solution would be a dual paned glass tank, or really thick acrylic. Micro-Reefs.com is working on a pico tank made of 3/4" acrylic right now.

In my opinion, the best way is an AIO style tank made of thicker acrylic. Then plumb in a chiller on a closed loop.

Here's my pieced together and DIY'd coldwater system for inside my house. Did the entire thing for under $200

th_IMG_20120308_095002.jpg

th_IMG_20120308_095016.jpg

th_IMG_20120308_094940.jpg

th_IMG_20120308_094951.jpg

th_IMG_20120308_095028.jpg

th_IMG_20120308_095047.jpg

well i want some! lol

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Indeed. I followed those pics back to a thread on Reef Central, that tank is all native livestock in Russia, specifically Kamchatka Bay. They have almost the exact same water temperatures as we do here in Oregon and Washington, and a lot of the same species.

We went to the Oregon Coast Aquarium (Newport) this past Saturday. Wow, talk about inspiring for going cold! Strawberry anemones growing like weeds. Lots of color everywhere. Cool crabs & shrimp. Well worth a visit!

- D

Next time save your money from admission for the family, and set yourself up a pico coldwater ;)

Archived