Ballast Blew... now what?

Kung Fu Spider Crab

Needing a little help and advice.

Over the weekend a loud pop and burning smell alerted me to one of my 250 duel end MH ballast, neeless to say it's no longer is working.(scary) For what a local shop says they can fix it for I think I can find a new ballast on line. The question is which one and if there are any strong arguments for either the electric or digital.

Another complicating piece is there is no name on my fixture so I'm not able to compaire ends to what I have to potential new ones. That may be a pipe dream to find one that matches up. But again, looking for any advice or guidance you may have. I'll attach pics later tonight of the one that is still working if that would help anyone.

Thanks for any advice or input. Of course I also just got a bunch of SPS and hoping to see it grow. I'm able to switch back and forth with the one that is working, but also a little nervous about that.

Thanks again.

Nick

part of it depends on the type of bulbs you have as well from my past experience with MH bulbs. I have run both electronic and magnetic ballasts and they were both great but depended on the bulbs. I have run PFO and Sunlight ballasts and the sunlights ran much cooler with both the electronic and magnetic units.

I believe that Dave (Barleycuda) is an electrician and has rebuilt PFO dual ballasts. He is up in Vancouver but the bonus is that you can visit his famous "Clownfish House". You may want to PM and see if he is interested?

Archived