My first reef to current

Gabe

I've wanted to do this for a while now, finaly sat down and did it.

Here is my first ever reef. I had it as a FOWLR for 2 years before I put my first corals in. (yes that is a quartz lamp)(laugh) There were 2 five gallon buckets plumbed together as a sump inside the cabinet.

IMG_0355.jpg

My first LED experiment. Got less than 6 months out of them.

IMG_0369.jpg

My 55 with 6 lamp T5. The 30 became the sump. This was 4 months old, it looked like this for a while. I think I started with too much home made rock and not enough live sand/rock. Plus I still didn't know anything. Shortly after this pic I found PNWMAS.

IMG_0764.jpg

A couple more pics of the 55

2-6-10003.jpg

10-31-10001.jpg

We finaly bought a house, and upgraded to a 120 when we moved. I decided to cut out one of the overflows after I had everything in it.DOH!

This was shortly after the move. Everything just kinda sat in there for 6 months before I actualy started aquascaping.

2-6-11024.jpg

Sometime last year

5-10-11003.jpg

And this was tonight.

IMG_9710.jpg

IMG_9724.jpg

This has been one of the coolest hobbies I have ever done. Not quite the same rush as bikes, and wheeling, but tons to learn, and a little safer. Most of what I have learned has been from this site, and a lot of trial and error. (A lot less error lately)

Thanks for all your help, and I hope you enjoyed the pics.

Gabe

That's freakin awesome Gabe! What a great idea for a thread! It kinda fits in with when I was talking to Brad about some of the DIY mistakes we have made. Like too small of an overflow. not using float valve switches when making rodi water and flooding the basement lol! I love the led attempt!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

There are two small crates under all the rock, and the egg crate is about 4" off the back at the bottom so there is plenty of flow, and room for fish to cruise behind the rock. Also, Im to cheap to buy lots of rock. I would say I have spent less than $100 on rock. The sump is full of 1"-3" rubble for filtration.

I also realized that I still have all but 1 of the corals that were in that first 30g.

Archived