NOOBIE!

ryry77

A few of my friends are in this hobby and I've been wanting to get in to it also. I just never had the time to but now i do. I don't have a tank yet. I want to start small..nothing more than a 30g. Once I get some years under my belt..I probably will upgrade. If anyone can refer me to someone who is selling theirs, i'd appreciate it. thank you.

welcome to PNWMAS!

To be honest, a 40g breeder will make you a lot happier than a 30g. a little more volume (for one thing) makes it a little more stable and the fact that it's 18" front-back will be a lot easier to aquascape and more room for fish. I would NOT recommend starting with a massive tank as your first, but up to even a 90g would be reasonable. The main thing that makes it hard is more the things you put in it, not how big it is...except that small tanks (<30g) can be hard because the chemistry isn't as stable.

poke around for a while, ask lots of questions and start making a plan. What kinds of things do you want in it? only fish? fish and soft coral? hard corals? no fish, just coral? what kinds of fish? there are a lot of fish that do great in a 30g, a lot that don't. So start figuring out what you want to have in the tank and plan a tank around those things.

lots of super helpful people here, soak it up!

Welcome Ryry! Actually a small self contained biocube is not a bad way to begin. I have one in the laundry room. It does well with softies and maxi minis and zoas. They are pretty easy to set up too. You are correct Keith that it is harder to keep parameters stable in a smaller tank but most softies do fine with the swings and the fish don't really care either.

Welcome Ryry! Actually a small self contained biocube is not a bad way to begin. I have one in the laundry room. It does well with softies and maxi minis and zoas. They are pretty easy to set up too. You are correct Keith that it is harder to keep parameters stable in a smaller tank but most softies do fine with the swings and the fish don't really care either.

That's true, I haven't actually used them, but they seem to be really good systems. Lots of people here run them and it seems the softies, zoas and things do pretty well.

I guess that's the part about planning what you want. If you're dead-set of having Dori, or on a lionfish, or a tank full of 'colored sticks', you need to pick a system for those things.

if you want zoas, an anemone and a pair of clowns, the biocube 29 would be a slick choice!

I was thinking something small like a bio but you're right. I think a 40 would be ideal, especially since i want to utilize halides. I would probably start off with some basic softies until I can get the hang of things and maybe a few basic fish like clownfish and/or yellow tang.

If you decide to do a 40 and want one thats been set up to be used with a sump i have my 40b and custom sump I had built laying around. I donated the stand so its the tank, a DIY screen top ......anyway here is a link.

40 breeders are awesome, I just put it together to feed my addiciton since my other tank at the time was full

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?21608-New-40-Gallon-breeder-build&highlight=Frag+tank

PM if you're interested

Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. The folks on here have been more then patcient with all my noobie and yes some times silly questions. Careful though, upgarades are addictive. I set up my first 75gallon and a month later went to a 120 gallon. Still thinking of that 180 (whistle)

Emerald525 isn't kidding. When I saw the clown tank in her laundry room I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. The folks on here have been more then patcient with all my noobie and yes some times silly questions. Careful though, upgarades are addictive. I set up my first 75gallon and a month later went to a 120 gallon. Still thinking of that 180 (whistle)

Emerald525 isn't kidding. When I saw the clown tank in her laundry room I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

LOL shhhh it's a quarantine tank. It makes me sound less crazy that yes I have another little 30 gallon biocube in the laundry room! (laugh) That's where the sunburst anthia and the new helfrichi firefish are hanging out right now! It's pretty low maintenance. I top off now and then. Their is a little protein skimmer that doesn't do much. I forget the water changes often and usually end up doing one every 2 months but everything still looks great! The clownfish in there went to a new home!

LOL shhhh it's a quarantine tank. It makes me sound less crazy that yes I have another little 30 gallon biocube in the laundry room! (laugh) That's where the sunburst anthia and the new helfrichi firefish are hanging out right now! It's pretty low maintenance. I top off now and then. Their is a little protein skimmer that doesn't do much. I forget the water changes often and usually end up doing one every 2 months but everything still looks great! The clownfish in there went to a new home!

Whopps sorry the QT, LOL

Archived