Brine shrimp and pellets are bad?

Derbird

Hello everyone.

I have been reading up on ReefFrontiers as well now. Yes I have been unfaithful to my forum but the site made me do it LOL. Anyways they had a post about feeding fish and it said that feeding pellet foods is a bad idea and brine shrimp are just "little bags of water" and hold no real nutritional value. This has me worried. I did ask on that forum but got a very strange and scientific answer that just stated the same thing. Brine shrimp and pellet foods are bad.

Here is what I am currently feeding my critters. Every morning I give the tank a pinch of pellets (a mix of shrimp and spirulina). Every other day I feed one of these three items. Spirulina Brine shrimp, or Mysis shrimp, or Rod's Food (I try to rotate between them but do use more brine). And every other day I give my tang and wrasse a quarter sheet of seaweed. I used to do a few drops of oyser feast a day until I left the bottle out overnight DOH! I do plan on starting this back up for my inverts and coral as soon as I replace the bottle.

Seeing as much of what I give my fish are pellets or birne shimp this has me a bit nervious (scary)

Current live stock

Blue Damselfish (Chrysiptera cyanea)

False Percula Clownfish -Amphiprion ocellaris x2

Dragon Goby, Amblygobius phalaena

Eight Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus octotaenia)

Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus)

Firefish Goby (Nemateleotris Magnifica) x4

Plus inverts and clean up crew and coral of course

Any input would be welcome of course. I want the best for my salty friends. :)

The important question is: are your fish healthy? If so I'd continue doing what you are. There is no need to complicate things by fixing something that isn't a problem. It sounds like you are feeding a varied diet, so everything should be just fine. I think if you were only feeding brine shrimp that may be of more concern, but you aren't.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yea my fish are all fat and happy. Thank you for the reasurance, its always a bit scary to see you may be doing some thing bad for your fish.

The more I learn about this hobby the less I know (scratch)

The important question is: are your fish healthy? If so I'd continue doing what you are. There is no need to complicate things by fixing something that isn't a problem. It sounds like you are feeding a varied diet, so everything should be just fine. I think if you were only feeding brine shrimp that may be of more concern, but you aren't.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

+1. I feed cyclopeez to my tank and once in awhile some flake if I have it sitting around. The mandarin gets live pods of course. Your doing fine

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

If it is live brines you are feeding you can get a product called selcon and feed it to the brine shrimp 12 hours before you drop them in. But honestly, unless that was the only thing you were feeding your fish it should be ok. I was told my scooter blennies would only eat live copepods and tigger pods. After spending lots of money on those they ended up eating the gelled brine shrimp packets I feed to my clowns..

I don't subscribe to that theory. I feed my fish mysis, plankton, brine, pellets, and flake. My female clown is 10 years old this summer, so I must be doing something right.

One thing I do make sure with the brine are that they are the spirulina enriched ones.

Archived