Hybrid Vehicles

Piero

I hear some people have hacked their Prius into the over-100mpg range too. I'm considering one.

But what i would really like is a smartcar for anything around town. SmartCar is coming to the US next year.

We chose the Prius over the Escape, Accord and Civic. It had more room and fold down seat (the accord and civic didn't have that) More comfortable ride then the Civic. It fit our family needs. There are kits for the 100 mpg as well as body kits and turbo kits (for those that need a little more go) We're happy with ours the way it is and wouldn't mind getting another at some point. It uses so much less fuel then my grocery getter which actually stays parked more often. :)

neato. who distributes those?

http://blueskydsn.com/BugE_Concept.html

It's funny, they are not really distributed. He just orders all the parts for the kits and send them to you. He lives right here in Creswell. It gives "Some assembly required" a new name. It takes about 40hours of labor to put one together. It is for a person who likes to "tinker". It would be a great "around town" kind of vehicle.

Jay

If you're in the market for these you're probably making an ethical decision for the greater good as much as you're making an economical one...i.e you're partially justifying the cost because you've got zero emissions and are reducing your carbon footprint. I'm not sure what the cost-per-mile is for electricity, but I imagine you'd also save a lot of money on gas.

granted:

- the manufacturing and distribution processes are probably not sustainable

- the power used to charge it may come from non sustainable sources if you don't know where your electricity originated.

But zero emissions is a great step forward.

checkout http://www.autobloggreen.com/

whoa.

copy-of-img_3635.jpg

someone please answer me this ONE question? Why is it half the time I encounter an idiot that drives in the fast lane all by himself with nobody around doing 10 MPH under the speed limit its a Prius driver? These guys need there heads examined. But really, I would never own one, rolling death trap if you ask me, but thats just my opinion. I will spend a little more to keep my family safe from the morons that drive out there.

someone please answer me this ONE question? Why is it half the time I encounter an idiot that drives in the fast lane all by himself with nobody around doing 10 MPH under the speed limit its a Prius driver? These guys need there heads examined. But really' date=' I would never own one, rolling death trap if you ask me, but thats just my opinion. I will spend a little more to keep my family safe from the morons that drive out there.[/quote']

If you mean buying an SUV to keep your family safe then what about my family? :p SUV drivers are indeed more safe in their gigantic thing of metal but often this mentality causes reckless driving, thus endangering others. By reckless driving I mean by not checking blind spots, not checking your rear-view mirror (I once had to flash my brights to get a stupid SUV in front of my to notice me), by drifting in car lanes when their car is too large to drift, talking on cell phones thus closing their visual, and by cutting in where there really isn't as much room as you think there is....

Sometimes SUV drivers think they're great because they haven't hit anyone but I think it's only because everyone else is driving safer than they are.

The slow people in the fast lane that I see are usually old people who think the speed limit is the LIMIT and therefore is the fastest you can go. Prius', I've heard, drive really well and has great gas mileage. And with all the incentives: tax break, save money in the long run, consideration of the environment, not support terrorist(whistle) ...etc. why not buy one? Your family can be safe as long as you are a safe driver.

SUV Drivers??

Wow...

I think you just discribed alot of peoples driving habits, not just SUV drivers. As a matter a fact, I work in the collision industry and there are a heck of a lot more cars being repaired than SUV's that tell's me your therory is not based on facts. I also now that Hybrid cars can be very dangerous. Not only for structual integrety(because of size) but the in high impact car accidents the car can become eletrically chargered and you can't get out and the medical people can't get in. Here's an artical that has facts about this finding.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Hybrid/story?id=99524&page=1

Actually I rarely see old people in the fast lane and it has nothing to do with SUV's, I don't own one but its the middle aged people that are talking on the phones racing the Semi trucks and loosing that drive me crazy. As for your statement, why not buy one, If I'm a safe driver I will be OK? I was a safe driver coming around a corner one day and witnessed my best friend and girlfriends car get obliterated in front of me due to an idiot driver hitting them head on, where they safe for driving normal? I think not, if they where in a larger car than a little honda they would have probably both lived or if the other car was an import.

My kids don't ride in small cars, but that is a choice I make not because of my driving skills but because of the carelessness of the other morons out there, period. I don't have a problem with the prius, it gets great mileage, thats why its made, there ugly to me but everyone has an opinion, I just would not feel safe driving one knowing what a larger vehicle is capable of doing to it if someone makes a traffic mistake or is careless. Its funny how the testing regulation rate almost all cars a 5 star car, this car get close to a 4.75 star rating, wonder when they will test them in real world scenarios and stop parking them at 40 MPH. Its just something to consider when shopping for a car, given I have owned my share of imports, trucks and SUV's.

But if you think about it this car has no intentions of being a family car, its a commuter... so in that case go get one if you must, but I just would not feel safe, I value my life over a few saved bucks at the gas station even if the situation never occurs that I am at least a step ahead of the game.

On a side note this kinda goes hand in hand with people buying cheap tires, whats your life worth? I wont but a cheap tire just so I can stop another 100 yards slower than the better tire, or sacrifice wet weather traction so I can save a few hundred bucks. One day you MAY just be sorry you did.

Everything I own has a V8 :) Oops! Well I guess my boat has a big V6 4.3L.

I take that back my two jetskis have 750CC motors in them but I cant really drive them around. I wish I could that would been fun.

Izzy if you put a order in for the wind car I know alot of "homeboys" down here in Albany would all go green :)

First off.... I'm pretty sure you weren't behind us in the fast lane, not a fair label. The hubby likes to be able to go and getting a consistant 45mpg for interstate driving with his heavy foot is ALWAYS going to be a plus. Yes, we bought it for commuting purposes. Our 2005 Prius that we bought with 84 miles on the odometer is now reading at 85,000+ miles and still running great. I know that we didn't buy it for a family car, that's why we have our Audi wagon. But if it came down to having to travel a longer distance I would feel okay driving our Prius. It handles well for what it is and it's fairly roomy inside. (It's not the Audi but it'll do.) BTW I've been run off the road by a retarded SUV driver while I was driving our old SUV!! So even when you're driving something bigger they still don't see you.