Parkinsons Disease

NoobtoSalt

Many of you know that my Grandfather has been ill over the past few weeks. First off I wanted to thank all of you that have sent me messages, it really does mean a lot. He was like my second dad. Over the past 10 years or so, almost all of my vacation time I have spent in Spokane visiting with him. I even surprised them in Vegas in 2010. What a great trip that was. But it took his life yesterday morning at around 3:30am. He lived to see 84 years of an absolutely amazing life. I'm not posting this to gain more condolences btw. What I was going to see is, I know last year we did an amazing job donating money to a person that had passed away for their family to help pay the bills. My Grandma is doing ok money wise (not rich by all means but able to pay the basic bills).

I wanted to see if we could do a drive to send money in his name to the Parkinson's Resource Center of Spokane, 910 W. 5th Ave., Suite 256, Spokane, WA 99204-2973. If this is not appropriate please let me know and I will take it down but would love to see the group get together and support this amazing organization and what they have done for my family. They still don't know what causes the disease and there is no cure. Please let me know if you are willing to donate and how much and I will continue to have a total in the first posting in this thread.

Here is his obituary

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/spokesman/obituary.aspx?n=william-alden-holeman-bill&pid=156490740#.T2IlgqV8gpc.facebook

Donations so far for an auction:

Noobtosalt

Emerald525

Reefboy

Derbird

Beckie

Here is what I have so far:

Reefboy:

Half of the sps growout money

Noobtosalt:

Candy Apple Reds: $30 from Wanareef

Captain America palys

DSC_0260.jpg

Acan colony (not happy I moved them in the tank)

DSC_0003.jpg

Beth/Kim donations (clap) you've outdone yourselves once again. Thank you so much!

Emerald Mummy Eye Chalice

DSC_0362.jpg

ORA German Blue Polyp Digi

DSC_0348.jpg

Orange Plate Coral

DSC_0321.jpg

No name zoas

DSC_0325.jpg

Maxi Carpet (Purple/Green)

DSC_0339.jpg

Mary Jane Zoas (still opening up in the tank)

DSC_0005.jpg

Matty0206 donation:

2 headed Frogspawn

DSCN0700.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was site issues, and well it's hard to come up w/ anything to say. What I mean by that is we can all say how sorry we are for your loss, and I'm sure we all are but it sounds like you were very close w/ your grandfather. I'm sure a lot of us don't quite understand how deeply you must be grieving. From the obituary he sounds like he was a great man, which really makes it a loss for all even if we don't know it. People such as him are fading in this world, and I think your honoring his memory in a really great way. I don't have as much to donate as I would like, but I'll give what I can.

I think it was site issues' date=' and well it's hard to come up w/ anything to say. What I mean by that is we can all say how sorry we are for your loss, and I'm sure we all are but it sounds like you were very close w/ your father. I'm sure a lot of us don't quite understand how deeply you must be grieving. From the obituary he sounds like he was a great man, which really makes it a loss for all even if we don't know it. People such as him are fading in this world, and I think your honoring his memory in a really great way. I don't have as much to donate as I would like, but I'll give what I can.[/quote']

Thanks Kimberlee. He was amazing. I called my grandma tonight to see how she was doing and she said she still checks the bed once in awhile thinking he's there. The good news is that she is already looking to the future with trips and getting out of the house for a change. She has been pretty much home bound for the past year with my grandpa.

Yeah Jesse your thread got lost with the site problems. I actually had posted something when you first posted this thread but it got lost in the database error thing. It's fine to post this up. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your grandfather sounds like a great man and you were lucky to have him in your life. Parkinson's is a cruel illness. It's like the mind is fine but you lose control of your body. I do hope one day they find a cure.

Yeah Jesse your thread got lost with the site problems. I actually had posted something when you first posted this thread but it got lost in the database error thing. It's fine to post this up. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your grandfather sounds like a great man and you were lucky to have him in your life. Parkinson's is a cruel illness. It's like the mind is fine but you lose control of your body. I do hope one day they find a cure.

Unfortunately by the end he was loosing his mind as well. In the final stages of parkinsons that is quite common.

I lost my mother to Parkinson's last summer. I am sorry for all you and your family went though. I think it's a wonderful way to not only remember but support others. I have some things I would like to donate to the cause.

Beckie

Thank you and sorry for your loss as well. I think so many people see micheal j fox and figure it's just a muscle problem but when it nears the end it's much more then that. Before he couldn't talk anymore he was able to recognize me and said my name. That was the biggest thing for me. When my dad asked him who he was he said that my dad was his brother. Probably the toughest thing I've ever seen my dad go through. I'm not ashamed to say I did lots of crying that first week knowing that he was going to pass away within a few days.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I'm truly very sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you are going though. I lost my Grandpapa, who was more or less my second dad a little over a month ago at 81. He was the single greatest man I knew and it was a horrible feeling to have when it happened. It won't get easier, only more painful in concentrated moments. A song, or a smell sets it off for me and I am almost in tears no matter what. Be thankful you had the relationship you did, and also the time at the end that you did as well...

I'm truly very sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you are going though. I lost my Grandpapa' date=' who was more or less my second dad a little over a month ago at 81. He was the single greatest man I knew and it was a horrible feeling to have when it happened. It won't get easier, only more painful in concentrated moments. A song, or a smell sets it off for me and I am almost in tears no matter what. Be thankful you had the relationship you did, and also the time at the end that you did as well...[/quote']

Thanks for the kind words, sounds like many of us have lossed loved ones recently

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

What are you looking for as far as donations for a auction? I have a large rock covered in gsp and palys I can donate if interested, wish I had more for a really good cause. I was a cna for many years and took care of primarily Alzheimer and late stage Parkinson patient's and know first hand how devastating this can be. Jesse I am sorry for your loss, I lost my grandfather before I could get to know him as an adult. I envy the relationship you shared.

I didn't get a pm Jesse or it got lost in the shuffle. I'm willing to donate. I can give you something when you pick up your acan.

That's weird???(scratch). I just sent it a few seconds ago. I've been having issues with the site again once in awhile so maybe it happened again. Just checked my sent messages and it doesn't show the last 10 or so messages I sent out.

I didn't get a pm Jesse or it got lost in the shuffle. I'm willing to donate. I can give you something when you pick up your acan.

That's weird???(scratch). I just sent it a few seconds ago. I've been having issues with the site again once in awhile so maybe it happened again. Just checked my sent messages and it doesn't show the last 10 or so messages I sent out.