I did something less then smart =(

Derbird

Hello everyone,

So I did something less then smart. Yesterday I did a big water change on both my fresh and salt water tanks. I put my Tetra Aqua Safe in the water for my fresh tank. I do this for the slime coat protection not the water conditioning properties. I read on the label good for both fresh and marine aquarium use. So I with the best intentions of helping my little finned friends put a small amount in the water before I did the change (sad)

On to now. I have more micro bubbles then I have ever seen (nutty) and that is saying something as I always have micro bubbles. Also the skimmer has gone haywire. It fills the collection cup with clean looking water in about two minuets. and that's on the lowest setting DOH!

Is this going to be harmful to my tank? Anything I can do to help stop this? Do I just need to let it run its course?

All fish and coral look fine. In fact my hammer head has never looked better its about twice the size it normally is.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

How much did you use?

I can't say for sure whether or not your it will be a problem long term. From the coral's response, I imagine your hammer coral finds the stuff to be delicious. If you look at the ingredients of the stuff, it's no wonder that it makes a skimmer go nuts. Keep the skimmer on if you turned it off and just be prepared to deal with lots of skimmate for the next day. If it doesn't stop doing this after a day, then do a water change.

Just do another water change and make sure to keep checking your skimmer(so it doesn't overflow) for the next day. I wouldn't think that this spells for fishy doom. Although if you wanted to be safe, you could always do a large water change, or even a couple large consecutive ones. The only real negative impact you will get out of this whole ordeal would likely just be back pain (gavel)... and less tank stability for 72 hours.

If your skimmer seems to just be taking out tank water, and isn't condensed enough, you can always turn it off.

Throw. Filter sock on your skimmer, and try to limit the amount of air it can take in so that it's not overflowing constantly (have some water ready to replace what's lost). That should help with micro bubbles. +1 on doing a wc. It shouldn't hurt anything, I used to but stuff like that in my tank all the time when I first started out.

Thanks everyone, I was going to post this again. With the site down I didn't think it went through.

Luckly I only used about 15ml for a 35 gallon water change. I'll start another batch of water. I couldn't hurt to do another, just inconvient.

I will look in to the stress coat marine. I like how my fresh water friends do with the stuff. So I thought my salty critters would love it. I did have the best intentions DOH!

Archived