Kalk & aiptasia/blue clove polyps

sharoleb

So I bought some kalkwasser in the BRS group buy last week. Can I get a how-to on killing aiptasia/clove polyps? I assume just mix up a paste similiar to Aiptasia X and use the syringe?

Anything I need to know, besides just do a little at a time? How many syringe fulls can I use in 90 gallon tank at a time before I need to worry about my water quality?

I would appreciate any and all info. Thanks.

It doesn't take a ton to do it. Just get a liquidy paste made up and spray it on its mouth till it closes. On a 90 gallon, you'd have to use quite a bit to mess things up (based on volume of Kalk in your mixture). If your worried, do half now and wait a few days before doing the rest. I've only used Kalk for this a few times. The Aiptasia X works very well too.

However, have you tried just buying like 5 peppermint shrimp? Once I got up to 5 in my tank, I never had issues with Aiptasia again.

I put 5 peps in last spring, never saw them again. (same with my emerald crabs, it's a mystery.) My aiptasia is not in plague proportions, but my blue clove polyps are. I'm planning to use kalk for them, and figured i'd get aiptasia while i'm there.

I will work on the cloves a little at a time.

Another question:

when I use aiptasia x, after waiting a certain amount of time when I turn the pumps back on, little pieces of it fly everywhere. I've never a had a problem with the chunks landing on coral or anything. Do I need to worry about this w/ the kalk?

Another question:

when I use aiptasia x, after waiting a certain amount of time when I turn the pumps back on, little pieces of it fly everywhere. I've never a had a problem with the chunks landing on coral or anything. Do I need to worry about this w/ the kalk?

Yah you might wait a little longer than you did with the aiptasia x stuff since kalk will burn corals if it lands on them. But IME using kalk to kill aiptasia its not a huge problem. The small bits that might float away dissolve a little bit too.

Archived