looking for reef safe mouse exterminator

Electrokate

Sorry I don't know if this section of the forum is most appropriate... my question is more about hopefully not putting chemistry in the tank than adding it (:

We have a rampantly exploding mouse infestation to deal with. I know there was a guy who lives in Camas who does exterminating and is into reefs, but I can't remember his name. Anyone know? The name of his company had eco in it I think. Our house is like a big mouse spa. I have a parrot that throws food, they eat the orchids, love fish food plus the occasional carpet surfing fish for them to share and enjoy and apparently they have blossomed. Could just buy a few pounds of D con but everyone seems to think a professional is the way to go. Or if there is another person in the club who does this line of work would love to hear from ya. Not looking forward to the smell of dead mouse but it's only going to get worse. Can't get a cat, am allergic.

Kate

We're right there with you. Three dogs, three cats, grey parrot, and two little boys. Chaos! (But thankfully, no mice.)

I'm allergic to cats too, but do ok with Devon Rex kitties. They are quite good at dispatching mice, but they are hard to find. Some people with cat allergies are still allergic to them. Depends on the particular allergen you're allergic to.

Good luck with the exterminator. Thankfully, some people around here post answers that are actually helpful. :)

Gillian

Dcon always worked well for me. Where I used to live, we always got mice moving into the garage and under the house every Spring. I found that putting out 1 Dcon package until it was empty then putting another out until none of the poisoned food went missing worked great. It also left un-eaten bait exactly where the next group of mice would come.

Thanks guys! Yeah I tried a Devon Rex, a friend gave me one as she had 2 she had rescued and they were too high energy. Loved the cat, but it put me in the ER anyways. Never wanted to stop playing. Was rescued from a mill where the cats spent their entire lives in cages, no cleaning just a wire bottom, no toys, no playing nothing. 3 years old. Get them into a real home and they I am not kidding never slept, cuddled and jumped on you and purred 24/7.

Thanks for the link on Eden, that is the one I remembered incorrectly. Eden, Eco what is the difference? (:

Just got off the phone w/ the exterminator I used recently. His name is Mike Walsh and owns Salem Pest Management, but he does work in Portland as well. He was very careful working around my tanks, is not as expensive as most and makes sure the job gets done. # is 503-990-6368

glue traps work great I had a little issue and worked well I just added a few peanuts and they cant resist then just throw away beats having them die in the wall after eating poison.

This guy uses traps w/ mice, no poison, no dead ones in the wall

I had mice get into my dog food stash a few years ago and their population exploded. I put the dog food in my bathtub and the next day it was filled with mice when I turned the lights on. Only one mouse could climb out of the tub, so the rest were easy pickings. I just kept doing that every night and before you knew it they were gone. Just a idea.....

I had mice get into my dog food stash a few years ago and their population exploded. I put the dog food in my bathtub and the next day it was filled with mice when I turned the lights on. Only one mouse could climb out of the tub' date=' so the rest were easy pickings. I just kept doing that every night and before you knew it they were gone. Just a idea.....[/quote']

rofl If you could have heard the scream Beth gave out with just one mouse in the bathtub, I can't imagine a bathtub full of mice!

I had mice get into my dog food stash a few years ago and their population exploded. I put the dog food in my bathtub and the next day it was filled with mice when I turned the lights on. Only one mouse could climb out of the tub' date=' so the rest were easy pickings. I just kept doing that every night and before you knew it they were gone. Just a idea.....[/quote']

rofl If you could have heard the scream Beth gave out with just one mouse in the bathtub, I can't imagine a bathtub full of mice!

We recently had an infestation of mice and rats. We called Alpha Exterminators. They use a pet friendly "green" bait that even if your dog or cat were to eat a pound of it, they wouldn't be killed. Very effective and professional people. I highly recommend them

I have been pretty casual about the mice. Lived with rats once and mice just seem kinda cute and sweet after that. And they have the sense to not run right up to you while you are sitting on the couch reading to see if it's worth biting your ankles like rats do. That was one of those artist warehouse spaces. You know, cause art pays so well? You get to live in the worst housing possible, sell one painting a year for maybe 200 bucks and then quit to learn something useful like medical billing. No more rat infested art warehouse. Boring job doing claims though.

I just tried to regard the mice as the land based "cleanup crew" which Ben seems less than amused by. I don't think we ever had that many mice as they didn't make a dent in the bird food. Been living with them for years. They will not trigger the traps with the plastic yellow cheese on it by Tomcat but the Victor brand snap traps worked. They gotta go though, so yesterday bought a bunch of DConn since I had luck with that in the past and we will be hiring Randy to follow up and generally advise on prevention. Bird cage will be cleaned every evening and food put in the fridge. She likes to throw food on the floor where the mice have their den under the fireplace insert and then watch them come out and eat. The bird is not on our side here.

That whole situation sucked. We were in Mexico, turns out the house sitter is afraid of mice. I wanted a reef person come by once a day to take care of the tanks but Ben wanted his friend here to ward off burglars. She could not stand to stay in the house. I could have had someone come in who knew how to add buffer and calcium and no mouse freakout posts on facebook for all our mutual friends, but no. She is never going to want to step in our house again either I think (: When I got home the alkalinity in the 120 was 60ppm per LaMotte kit. That would be less than 4dKH. On the plus side I now know worrying about alkalinity is overrated. On the other am missing 2 wrasses. Also that tank leaked, still can't figure out from where. I am never travelling again as long as I have fish.

Ok that last part is not true, but it's going to be a while. Also we have not seen a single mouse since returning, but they did clean the bait off all the Tomcat brand traps. Again.

Sorry to hear that the tank leaked.DOH! I have been there. I don't know how the aquariums know you are traveling but they do and they want you to pay.(wife) Sorry to hear about your mouse problems perhaps they left because they ran out of food and they are waiting for you to bait the traps again. (scratch):p

On the positive this was a very entertaining thread for me.(clap)

Archived