My Breeding Blue-Green Chromis! PICS!

MVPaquatics

I only have about 24 marine fish that are mine personally. Most I have had for about 5 years. My school of blue-green chromis breed all the time. Also in the tank that breeds on a continual basis are my banggai cardinals and orange striped cardinals (which I have yet to raise). Also I have seen spawn, are my blue bar gobies. I don't think either chromis or blue bar gobies have yet to be bred in captivity (maybe chromis...not sure).

Here are some photos: Some of the eggmass, which is approx. 6 x 12inches. Some of the male tending the eggs and eating ones that failed to develop. Also, a zoomed in photo showing their developing eyes!

DSCF1180.jpg

DSCF1181.jpg

DSCF1183.jpg

DSCF1184.jpg

DSCF1186.jpg

ChromisEggsZoom.jpg

Here is a video of a pair of my banggais spawning...something must be in the air (or water?). February is the month of love! I forgot to mention the spawning talbot damsels also but they do it anywhere! I love how about half way through the video, all the fish come flock to the camera

Turn your volume down! loud background noise!

I only have about 24 marine fish that are mine personally. Most I have had for about 5 years. My school of blue-green chromis breed all the time. Also in the tank that breeds on a continual basis are my banggai cardinals and orange striped cardinals (which I have yet to raise). Also I have seen spawn, are my blue bar gobies. I don't think either chromis or blue bar gobies have yet to be bred in captivity (maybe chromis...not sure).

Here are some photos: Some of the eggmass, which is approx. 6 x 12inches. Some of the male tending the eggs and eating ones that failed to develop. Also, a zoomed in photo showing their developing eyes!

DSCF1180.jpg

DSCF1181.jpg

DSCF1183.jpg

DSCF1184.jpg

DSCF1186.jpg

ChromisEggsZoom.jpg

When you are referring to the blue bar gobies are you referring to Ptereleotris zebra ?

MVP,

Something similar to the Banggai Write up would be perfect. I need a name to give credit to the article.

Doran

My name is Mike Mahar

When you are referring to the blue bar gobies are you referring to Ptereleotris zebra ?

Yes, shame on me for not using proper names. I have been looking into documenting it more, I really had no idea info was so sparse.

Here are those two...

_SAM0367.jpg

I have like 6 in my 180. They like their group but definitely hang in pairs. That rock that has algae on it was the one they were guarding with the egg mass. They have destroyed the coral that was on it with their slithering actions. The eggmass didnt last long and was in a place a couldnt photo. I will get to it next time

No problem on the naming. I am horrible at it and there appears to be so many different common names for this particular fish. There is almost no documented spawnings on these fish and I do not recall seeing any raised past meta. I had a spawning pair for a little while until I lost the female. The eggs are extremely small and from the communications I have had it was debatable whether these could be raised on rotifers. I tried a couple of times but I would have to say without a doubt that they will have to be raised in BRT's. I have some pics of the babies that I tried to raised but they were in my 10g tanks that I raise my clowns in which is what I think the biggest failure was.

Archived