Any one with banded pipe fish

Beckie

I have not seem many folks locally BUT....I have them with my sea horses. Today

I noticed egg sac's on them. I can guess that they will need to be separated at birth,

OH yea like I will be watching at just the right moment. But you never know.

Any advise would be welcomed

Beckie

Miles think jellyfish tank with the circulation run by an air pump. 5g or so. James makes them as well, he has them on his site.

Becky, I don't know anyone who is breeding them in captivity. I know several who have tried. If I were to give it a go I would try the old reidi breeding method with the green water for the first few weeks combined with rotifers until they were size enough to eat bbs.

I do know from experience that they are cannibals and will eat there young.

Tonight I woke up from a nap to see a thousand or so erectus fry. I think you should do what I do, just turn off the light before the spouse gets home to avoid the, "Oh honey they are going to die. Save them" conversation

Not to be cold, but the work is tremendous and mostly uncharted.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the nine days came and went. No more eggs and no babies in sight. I asume if they tried once they will try again.

Kevin.... shame on you. It would have been good time for me to see and learn how you take care of baby's. With the pipes to you think I will need to be there at the hatching or put the male in his own tank around hatch time and wait?

Thanks all I will have to reach more.

• 1 month later...

I have a pair that have never spawned. I also have 4 blue stripes that I am playing with. You will need a kreisel and use the green water method. Pledosophy is 100% correct. Raising the fry is a LOT of work. The pipe fish have a lot fewer babies and it takes a commitment of feeding them several times a day for 3-4 months. I should of turned the lights out and save myself the headache.

Archived