Clown Fish

Jeramy

I am just wondering most people purchase clown fish in pairs. Is this because clown fish do better in pairs? I was asking because I would like to only buy one clown fish and did not know if they wernt as happy all alone life firefish. Does it affect the level of agression twords their tank mates when you have a single clown or a pair of them. I would like to house one clown one six line wrasse and my falcos hawkfish togather in my 31 gal tank.

If you add just one clown, then six months down the road add another clown. The original clown will tend to be aggressive toward the new clown. I've seen one be so aggressive it was trying to tear the others fins off. And clown behaviors in pairs is much more interesting.

• 1 month later...
unless they're both female when you get them...

:)

If you get from say Saltwater Fantaseas or Searhorse Aquarium supply, they are typically young (unless their big) and have no gender. Its best to put two clowns of similar size together at once. Overtime the more dominant and bigger clown will become the female and the latter the male. Then you might even get lucky with a mated pair!

I got 2 B/W clowns back in late December and at that time they really fought, so I netted one out and its been in frag tank sine Jan.

I was going to introduce it back into thentank (nutty) but after running into Barleycuda at SWF he mentioned if I wanted to add another clown I should go with one quite a bit smaller than whats in there now. That been said it sounds like adding one later is an option so you may have that possibility if you decide to go with just 1 now

I was going to see about trading the 1 in I have for a smaller model (whistle) and see how that plays out (scary), they just dont have small ones yet.

Archived