The 210 is running strong now, finally got the SPS in

SoCalMicSkills

• 3 weeks later...

[ATTACH]12413[/ATTACH]

Update!, looking a little better. Here are the fish in it: 7 firefish, strawberry dotty, 2 PJ Cardinals, 5 green chromis, masked foxface, kole tang, blue hippo tang, 2 ocellarus clowns, flame hawk, yellow tail damsel, I think that's it, but I probably forgot. I waited until after each water change to add fish, so the majority of the fish were added in about 4 groups.

post-8119-141867761196_thumb.jpg

I guess I should also add that about a year ago I had calcium in my 90 gallon, about 550. However, I thought it might have been partially because it was 100 % synthetic rock, and mostly because at the time I was using Oceanic salt. After I switched to Reef Crystals I never had that problem again. I did move some of the rocks (about 1/8 of the total rock volume) into the 210 because all of my SPS were attached to them. I wouldn't think that would have much to do with it.

Lookin Good Man.........I would have thought it was impossible to have calcium that high if I hadnt tested your water myself. I was literally running out of room for drops in the titration tube. I tested it twice and it was 780 the first time and 765 on the second test. I tested my water at the same time and my calc was 480

Try diluting tank water with ro/di. I'm not sure what the chemistry of the test kit is, but I doubt salt makes a difference. Try diluting it 50-50 to get in a 'normal' range. I'd test just the ro/di first to make sure it's Ca free. If your 50-50 shows over 350, test a fresh batch of salt water to make sure it's not a bad batch of salt. If virgin saltwater is OK, it must be something in the tank

First my R/O water. After 1 drop it turned blue = 0 to 20 ppm calcium. Second, I diluted tank water 50/50 with R/O, Started to turn blue at 16 drops, real blue at 17 drops (16=320, 17=340). Third, my salt mix (Reef Crystals), 22 drops = 440, although I just finished the last 200g batch before my last water change. So there may have been a bad batch that I went through while filling this system up, and/or the first few water changes.

First my R/O water. After 1 drop it turned blue = 0 to 20 ppm calcium. Second' date=' I diluted tank water 50/50 with R/O, Started to turn blue at 16 drops, real blue at 17 drops (16=320, 17=340). Third, my salt mix (Reef Crystals), 22 drops = 440, although I just finished the last 200g batch before my last water change. So there may have been a bad batch that I went through while filling this system up, and/or the first few water changes.[/quote']

that's pretty good data. the 50/50 mix (assuming the RO is actually 0 and your dilution was accurate), means that you're tank is at 640-680, a little better than the mid 7's. IF (and that's a definite if) your dilution was accurate and the RO is 0, I trust the diluted one more than the straight because you may be getting out of the linear range of the test in the 7's (Maybe, I don't know). the salt mix figure looks like what we shoot for.

Your point about the end of a 200g batch is valid. since your coloines are happy, this probably isn't worth asking, but I will anyways: what's your pH at? if it's low, it could be dissolving the rock/sand. also, did you rinse the sand you used?

I had a simmilar experience with my biocube and was using reef crystals the new salt water was at a acceptable level the fresh water had almost no calcium in it I never did get an acurate measure ment because I stopped testing after I got to thirty drips and had no change I was also using api test kits. My calcium slowly dropped as I did water changes every week it took almost 3 months befor my calcium levels were normal but nothing in my tank seem to be stressed or unhappy with the high levels. I at first thought I had a bogus test kit but for the fact that it would test my fresh make up water acurately and the water from other peoples frag bags. I know this was not a lot of help as to the why but just some one who went through the same thing with out any real ill effects =)

• 2 months later...