Hippo Tanb

Kimberlee

What is important to understand about Hippo Tangs (as well as other tangs for that matter) is that they all are susceptible to ich. This means that even if a tang is bought from a system without ich, it can still get it in your system- because when fish are moved, especially juveniles, they will become stressed, and that could give way to some ich. I personally go with a moderate approach. I have had my tang get ich numerous times. I take that as an indication that something is stressing the tang, so I will test water quality, see past events, fish behavior, etc. Usually I just end up stabilizing the system in whatever way it needs to be done, and my tang is still fine today! Don't make the assumptions that a tang bought out of a store with ich won't get it once it is in your tank.

What is important to understand about Hippo Tangs (as well as other tangs for that matter) is that they all are susceptible to ich. This means that even if a tang is bought from a system without ich' date=' it can still get it in your system- because when fish are moved, especially juveniles, they will become stressed, and that could give way to some ich. I personally go with a moderate approach. I have had my tang get ich numerous times. I take that as an indication that something is stressing the tang, so I will test water quality, see past events, fish behavior, etc. Usually I just end up stabilizing the system in whatever way it needs to be done, and my tang is still fine today! Don't make the assumptions that a tang bought out of a store with ich won't get it once it is in your tank.[/quote']

I have to agree with this. I used to be terrified of ich when I first started. I tried qt with copper treatments and I've tried hyposalinity. All the qt did to my blue hippo, was give a fish I picked up ich free, ich. I listened to a few people and just decided heck with it and pulled her/him outta qt. I just tossed her in my tank and she began eating again and got better every day. I've had her close to a year now and no signs of ich since. I just decided the strong will survive and I feed a wide variety of high quality foods and algaes to help them stay strong. This is just my opinion though and some people will strongly disagree with me. I just believe ich is not deadly for a healthy strong fish. It's when they get overly stressed and continue to stay stressed that it can get the upper hand. Or if they have an outbreak of ich and then another fish is introduced with another disease that things can spiral out of control. Once again, this is just my opinion and what has worked for myself.

I agree with the others! There is no guarente that a fish without ick wont have it by the time you put it in your tank, or once you put it in, Tangs are some of the worst for this, they are very nurotic and stress easy, a very healthy Tang could stress and get ick in transport, the shock of the dif water, not liking the tank mates, poor water quality. Did the one you get die? You could buy 1 to 5 to 10 more before finding one that survives, exspecialy ones that small, I have talked to "pro's" and they strongly suggest when Hippos are supper small having a group of them, guess it makes them feel safer or something

What is important to understand about Hippo Tangs (as well as other tangs for that matter) is that they all are susceptible to ich. This means that even if a tang is bought from a system without ich' date=' it can still get it in your system- because when fish are moved, especially juveniles, they will become stressed, and that could give way to some ich. I personally go with a moderate approach. I have had my tang get ich numerous times. I take that as an indication that something is stressing the tang, so I will test water quality, see past events, fish behavior, etc. Usually I just end up stabilizing the system in whatever way it needs to be done, and my tang is still fine today! Don't make the assumptions that a tang bought out of a store with ich won't get it once it is in your tank.[/quote']

Dang marshall well said!

Of course it died' date=' as soon as I post up a new fish they seem to go down hill. That's what it feels like but I sure the fish being covered in Ich before I get him just didn't help.[/quote']

You bought it knowing it had ich?

Okay explanation, I asked someone to order it for me and if they would hold it for about 2 weeks after it arrived. You know sort of a rest before being bagged and moved again. I wanted to do it this way because I know hippos are prone to get ich when stressed. Well it came in and was unable to remain where it was. When it arrived it didn't ich, it devolved it after about a week of being at the store, and just a little nothing bad. When I came to pick up it was a little worse, I could have gotten store credit but the fish was very active and eating well. So knowing it can be a little harder to get the tiny babies I decided to take him home and use the 20long that had been cycling to kind of QT him. He did very well for almost a week. ???? I was treating it w/ micro lift about half the recommended dose. When I finally used a full dose he started to not do so well. So I did a small WC on the tank and changed out the carbon, I guess that just wasn't enough.

Which microbe-lift product did you use? Ick-out is for freshwater, containing formaldehyde and malachite green. Bad news for saltwater. That would kill it at a full dose

Microbe lift herbtana is a hoax. I dont buy it. MAYBE for a light fungal or bacterial infection but i like mela and pima fix for that.

The only two scitentifically proven methods for eradication is copper and hypo salinity (with or without raised temps). Copper can easily be used safely with most fish. (avoid puffers and mandarins etc). Start with a low dose and increase as needed. If the fish starts fading in color you have probably slightly exceeded their limit.

I only use copper power as it is the safest version. It is chelated so it is safer at higher doses. But dont even bother dosing copper without a testkit, that is asking for it.

MVP posted the ONLY 2 cures or treatments for ich out there, period no contest, undisputable, anyone else says otherswise they are plain wrong. LOL hows that for a "firm" statement-any other ich "solution" is snake oil and there re countless thread online to support that

Trautman explained it very well, as I had been told, ich lays dormant and can break out as he discussed, I just lost a gold rim tang that had been healthy for a while, but ever new fish I added, it got territorial and stressed and as a result ich broke out.

Its a risk you run and certain tangs are more prone than others.

Good luck as I know its frustrating

Archived