LHS Mike + Marshall (M&M, or Eminem) Tank Build thread. WAHOOOO!!!

Trautman

1/31

Okay, so with the new semester at Lakeridge High School comes a new class to our curriculum: Oceanography.

Our awesome 40B had been in the AP Biology Class room for the past semester, although most everyone agreed that it would be put to better use across the hall in Oceanography.... So just tonight, Mike (MVPaquatics) and I (Trautman) went ahead and made the move.

First of all, I would like to thank Mike for volunteering to help out with only a days notice. He did an excellent job, and I could really tell that he is in this line of work, considering that he knew a lot of tips and tricks etc for plumbing that would have gone right over my head. Another thing to point out would be the awesome stuff Mike has done in the past like donate a refractometer, help with clean up crews, and even livestock. Great stuff!!

Secondly, none of this would have ever happened without Kim and Beth ( That would be Tankerald for those of you who do not know) donating, helping, coordinating, etc etc... the list goes on infinitely.

Thirdly, just to throw this out there, the inside man of Lakeridge High was an awesome custodian by the name of Jorge who really made everything work. He was handy with getting us inside of locked doors, and was very kind to take time out of his busy schedule to do things like get carts for us and be an overall great guy.

So pictures will follow soon (Mike got 'em with the ol' cell phone).

The first thing I did (about a week ago) was to temporarily relocate all the TFT coral to my house (just so the move would be that much easier).

That meant that any stress of moving would at least be lessened for our dear old corals.

Next, I brought in a personal tank of mine into the mix since we need to have a tank with a stand in the Oceanography class room, so I volunteered my own equipment for the cause. The tank was a 24x24x24 cube. It has some Reefstar LED's and T-5's for lighting.

Two rena canister filters, as well as a sump are what we have for filtration. We have a marineland skimmer, although it is basically worthless...

Current Livestock:

3 Emerald Crabs

50 Blue leg Hermits

1 Fire-tailed shrimp goby

1 Percula clownfish

1 Mono

1 turbo snail

STAY TUNED FOR PICTURES!

Dont forget about the cerith snails! haha... We will get you some more livestock! Now for the pics!

Old tank:

IMAG0658.jpg

New tank being setup:

IMAG0653.jpg

IMAG0654.jpg

New tank being filled:

IMAG0657.jpg

IMAG0659.jpg

New tank lighting:

IMAG0656.jpg

New tank lights on:

IMAG0660.jpg

IMAG0661.jpg

Backside:

IMAG0663.jpg

Actinics:

IMAG0664.jpg

Now it is up to you Marshall to get pictures of the tank when it is clear and aquascaped!

Update 2/2/12

So this morning I came in to the room to check out the tank.

It was really great to see how much everyone loved the aquarium. There were just amazed faces all over. It was very rewarding.

The tank water cleared up, and it started to look more like a real aquarium lol

3941356e.jpg

5fad7cfc.jpg

3f7b910f.jpg

7c7c461d.jpg

Update 2/8/12

More rock has been added to the tank,

We bought a rubbermaid for the sump,

Gilliroo was generous enough to donate a coralife skimmer for our sump

Smann also generously donated a calcium reactor

I donated the rock (or more correctly i should say that Kim and Beth donated the rock to me for personal use, and then I donated it to the school about three months later), and I put in a few hardy corals to see how habitable the tank was... so far everything is happy!

60b08e5e.jpg

bb8ffd4e.jpg

1291d71f.jpg

780abeac.jpg

a514e94a.jpg

Thank you!

stay tuned for more updates!

This is the new policy: If you donate livestock, IE a fish or coral, or other invert, I will name the fish after you (or it will be named with your wishes in mind) and you will also get a tax deduction!

Example: Bicycle Bill donated Eagle Eye Zoas the other day, so the new unofficial name of them is "Zoanthus Bicyclebillus" (laugh)

Also i was poking around. I have some bright green zoanthids. Some fuzzy mushrooms and some crown leathers i can donate.

Also, if/when it can house acros or other sps, i think a good experiment would be to see which grows more, corals mounted sticking up or on their side

• 3 weeks later...

1b4f35b5.jpg

What's in the box?

A yellow coris wrasse from TPA (Thanks Kim n' Beth!)

Sinularia sp.(Thanks ConcrEEt Donkey)

Neon Candy Cane Coral (thanks Danik)

Tyree Toadstool(Thanks Danik)

Eagle eye zoas (Thanks Bicyclebill)

Various other zoas and mushrooms

Large devil's hand leather

Various mushrooms

A nice maxi mini Carpet Anemone

and more!

Some other people that I would like to thank, even though their corals will be added at another time:

Thank you Jeramy for some Zoas!

And thank you H20devil for the Hollywood stunner chalice!

• 1 month later...

Archived