Pics of my Giant Pacific Octopus

AquaticEngineer

whats he/she feeding on? very cool...those eyes say so much

The eyes are awesome aren't they :) Its crazy to watch him watch you and respond to things with color changes and textures. You can see in some of the pictures how he went from totally smoothed bodied to having tons of protrusions from one picture to the next. He did that after he saw me taking pictures of him.

I'm fairly certain its a female since I havn't see a hectocotylus. Its eating shore crabs, hermit crabs, and small red rock crabs.

If he's up for sale' date=' have you thought about donating him to the Aquarium in Newport, or Hatfield Marine Sciences Center? I can hook you up with them if you're interested.[/quote'] If he doesn't sell for the price I'm asking by the time he outgrows the 200 gallon tank, then I may look at donating him. Unless I can start charging admission to come see him, gotta pay for those collection permits somehow lol.

• 1 month later...

The same could be said about almost everything we keep in both cold and warm salt tanks, I think if your in the hobby you have no right to judge what other people keep unless they are being cruel by keeping there pets in to small of a tank or just flat out have no idea about the husbandry that goes into larger species, I can promise you that our animals are kept in great tanks and fed live food right from the source, we have been in contact with a few marine centers that want our G.P.O. for display tanks and he might just end up at the M-Bay aquarium in Cali.

I do respect your opinion though and I understand your concern but this is an animal that we only sell to a small group of people in the hobby and we only bring them in when there is a demand.

Josh

-COLD WATER MARINE AQUATICS-

Some things should stay in the sea

they are very cool, but also very large

Its okay, he told me he that his mother abandoned him shortly after birth, and that there was a Cabezon up the block that was eye balling him ;)

Seriously though, he's in a 325 gallon combined system right now and is just being held over in a flow through tank with as much as he can eat for crab until he's either sold or goes into a larger tank as other things get sold. The only market for these things currently is on someones plate at a seafood buffet, and they only go after the largest ones.

The Giant Pacific Octopus is considered to be short-lived for an animal its size, with life spans that average only 3-5 years in the wild. To make up for its relatively short life span, the octopus is extremely prolific. It can lay up to 100,000 eggs which are intensively cared for by the females, who die protecting the eggs. Hatchlings are about the size of a grain of rice, and very few survive to adulthood.

I caught him out cruising the other day while I was photographing some other livestock and managed to get a decent video of him :)

GPO out for a stroll in Damascus Oregon :)

th_P1010023.jpg