Help me with my livestock ideas

NoobtoSalt

Alright well now that I've gone and downsized a bunch I want to get some nice fish that can happily fit in a 29 gallon biocube. Currently all I have in the tank is a mated pair of wild caught true percs. I'm considering selling these off and getting a pair of picasso's as I have always wanted a pair of them but just haven't quite decided on that one yet. I honnestly don't know what type of fish I want for this tank but I wanted to know what the pro's and con's are for a few of the fish I'm interested in.

Blue spot Jawfish - love the color on them, but am concerned about them eating shrimp and crabs. Anyone know how compatible they are with inverts? I'm not worried about it jumping out of the tank since it's covered.

Flame Wrasse - Amazing color and they typically stay fairly small.

After that I'm a little unsure of what else is a good idea in the tank. I miss a lot of my bigger fish but know that it's just not going to happen with this tank and I will have this nano for quite sometime as my main tank. I'm looking for some of the more rare fish that you don't see every day but not looking for fish that are $200 plus unless I can get such a stupid deal on it I can't pass it up.

thats it you are stocked up (whistle)

Maybe a soho tang?????

Had to edit (sorry the above was tough not to post)

I dont think flames would be good, my pair are at least 4"

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+319&pcatid=319

Minimum tank size 90 gallons.

I think you are stuck in the blenny and goby section-dont hate, it is what it is

Bluespots really need like a 6 inch deep sandbed to really do their thing. What about pearly jawfish?

I was reading about the jawfish just needing a good spot to burrow. And the pearly's are not colorful enough for me, but thanks for the ideas. I'm used to getting tangs so this is a whole new ball game now for me.

Bluespots really need like a 6 inch deep sandbed to really do their thing. What about pearly jawfish?

I was reading about the jawfish just needing a good spot to burrow. And the pearly's are not colorful enough for me, but thanks for the ideas. I'm used to getting tangs so this is a whole new ball game now for me.

How about a shark egg. I heard it was done in the past (whistle). Just kidding people...(nono) I have tried 2 blue spot jawfish and I could not get them to live...(sad) I like the pistol goby pair that Brad referenced!(clap)

I was going through a bunch of old threads that were done about the blue spot and noticed you had one. Guess that's out of the question for sure now. I just miss my leopard wrasse but this tank is too small for one of them..(sad)

I am also considering the helfrichi firefish but they seem way too expensive for a firefish..(laugh)

My two favorite fish of all time, that I replace any time one dies or whatever, are midas blenny and bicolor blenny. Huge amounts of character and personality, plus I think they're pretty cool looking. I tried a bluespot goby, but never saw him again after I put him in the tank.

I was going through a bunch of old threads that were done about the blue spot and noticed you had one. Guess that's out of the question for sure now. I just miss my leopard wrasse but this tank is too small for one of them..(sad)

I am also considering the helfrichi firefish but they seem way too expensive for a firefish..(laugh)

They are nice looking firefish but not a big enough difference from your regular firefish to be worth the price IMO.

My two favorite fish of all time' date=' that I replace any time one dies or whatever, are midas blenny and bicolor blenny. Huge amounts of character and personality, plus I think they're pretty cool looking. I tried a bluespot goby, but never saw him again after I put him in the tank.[/quote']

I love my Midas Blenny even though she can be aggressive and was burrowing and making a mess of the tank. I think a 30 gallon nano is a little small for one though.

I've got a message out to les to see what type of price on the helfrinchi he can get them for, but I agree with the inflated price. I might as well just do a couple of purple firefish and call it good.

Going into this I was really wanting to do a mystery wrasse but realized they get too big as well for my tank. guess I just might get stuck with a flasher wrasse of some sort and a goby shrimp pair and just focus on my corals.

I think the pearly jawfish are under rated. It is hard to capture how good they look in photos. Most of the time they are pale and stressed at the LFS, but they are quite pretty once healthy and established. Granted they are no blue-dot, but quite an attractive fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright maybe I should rethink this whole idea of what I want in the tank.

I'm going to get a pair of picasso's once I sell off the clowns currently in the tank. After that I like the goby/shrimp combo. I was going to have a LFS order it for me but I had a falling out with them. Any other suggestions on small fish that would do good in a reef environment that are considered more rare?

I like Jeremy's hawk...pretty cool looking

But I also like my goby/shrimp, bummer that can't work for you...

I just won't deal with that shop anymore locally, I'm not being treated near the same as before. I went ahead and Pm'd Garrett and he's ordering me one in. It's a good excuse to see the shop anyways...LOL. So soon enough I will have a yasha goby/shrimp pair.

• 6 months later...

Bumping this thread back up now that my firefish died. I never did get the goby shrimp combo (scratch) not sure how i forgot about that one. I also might consider a flasher wrasse. The only fish i currently have is my Mandarin. I'm going to stop in to swf today and see what he has.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2