Bleached Corals

nhoffee

Hi everyone, I have an issue. I have pink birdsnest, frogspawn, and another coral that is in the process of dieing. All my of my preamiters are fine except my Calcium is at 530ish. All my other corals, Rose Bubble Tip Anem, Green Carpet Anem, Clam, and fish are doing really well non-stressed and eat like pigs. Any ideas or help so that I can prevent it in the future.

Thanks

I would try and get you water tested by someone else with different kits. With your Cal that high I would bet your your Alk might be low as well. I think your Mag is low now.

It sucks to find out that one of your test kits are off. But the sooner you know the better.

OK so you say there bleached or rtn/stn? Bleached usually mean there starved of nutrients or you suddenly increased your lighting to fast. If the tissue is receding slowly like stn then I would make sire your not having any alk swings. If your corals are rtn fast tissue receding then something might have happened that really stressed you coral out. If the coral receding from the base up?

The reson your other things are doing fine is there a lot more hardy then the sps.

I wouldn't worry too much about that small 4* temp. swing. I've seen many great sps tanks with similiar swings. Mine runs 80-84 in the summer and 78-79 in the winter and I've never noticed any problems or differences, there are far more important thing to worry about. I think a natural temp swing like you have is actually better for sps corals, makes them a bit "tougher'. Here's a good read on the subject-http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html******

I wouldn't worry too much about that small 4* temp. swing. I've seen many great sps tanks with similiar swings. Mine runs 80-84 in the summer and 78-79 in the winter and I've never noticed any problems or differences' date=' there are far more important thing to worry about. I think a natural temp swing like you have is actually better for sps corals, makes them a bit "tougher'. Here's a good read on the subject-http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html******[/quote']

actually depends on the fluctuation if its gradual yes if its happening quickly no

and a piece of info, all corals become tougher in home aquaria or they don't survive some adapt better then others and some don't if your buying cultured corals they more likely to handle these fluctuations as the grew in and have adapted to captive systems but if buying wild they probably wont so the more stable u can keep your system the better

I would try and get you water tested by someone else with different kits. With your Cal that high I would bet your your Alk might be low as well. I think your Mag is low now.

It sucks to find out that one of your test kits are off. But the sooner you know the better.

+1 on the test maybe being wrong. I went through this recently w/ my tank. It wasn't that my test were bad, I had just stopped using them. Turned out my AKL was 6 and that's why the sps weren't doing well

• 4 weeks later...

Archived