John's 10 Gallon Custom Acrylic tank build!

Islandoftiki

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, alright, I'm home.

Here it is folks!

First impression: It's very well made.

8BE68E30.jpg

Second impression: It's not only well made, but its extremely good looking.

30E4690E.jpg

And here it is next to my 2 gallon tank. It's quite a bit larger. It's going to be amazing.

EF117F7A.jpg

I should be getting live rock tonight or tomorrow. :-)

Well, not much happened with the tank today. It's been a whirlwind of activity at the fiance's house in preparation for me moving in. The garage is cleaned out, and we've nearly filled a 3 yard dumpster. We're working on cleaning out the basement right now, and are almost done. Tons of ads going up on craigslist for "treasures" that we no longer want or need.

The live rock is sitting in a bucket with two small but powerful powerhead pumps to keep the water circulating, and my 25 Watt Hydor Theo that's going to take over the job of heating the Pico when I move the RKL to the 10 gallon tank. So far, the small colonies of zoas that came with the rock have opened. The GSP started to open, but I moved one of the powerheads and it decided that it was going to be pissy and close back up. It looks healthy though. I don't have any lighting on them at the moment, but they should be ok for a couple days with just a little ambient daylight. I just checked and no amonia, nitrite or nitrates in the bucket this evening. I'm hoping to avoid any die-off so the cycling of the tank goes quickly.

Question: As there's probably not much bioload at the moment, should I throw in a bit of raw shrimp into the bucket to give it some ammonia to convert while I'm getting the tank set up over the next couple days or should I even worry about that? Maybe toss in a little bit of fish food?

I'm hoping that I can get everything put together tomorrow and get the live rock into the tank.

Here's a picture of the rock in the bucket. Exciting, I know!

91369119.jpg

GSP's and zoas were open yesterday. No visible die-off on any of the rocks. Water parameters in the bucket are stable.

If I can get out of work a little early, the tank should be set up tonight and I'll monitor it for a week or two to be sure everything goes well, then it's clean up crew time.

GSP's Open:

9BBAAE7B.jpg

GSP's and zoas were open yesterday. No visible die-off on any of the rocks. Water parameters in the bucket are stable.

If I can get out of work a little early, the tank should be set up tonight and I'll monitor it for a week or two to be sure everything goes well, then it's clean up crew time.

GSP's Open:

9BBAAE7B.jpg