is this a mojano?

dsoz

J&JR gave me a bucket of CC, Tuesday. It is great stuff! I have been watching little snails crawl out, there are mini-stars reported to be in there (not seen any), and the amphipods that it was supposed to come with are AWOL for the time being. We did find a peanut worm while we were taking the CC out of the old tank. It went into Johns new tank.

I have found two of these little guys. One I threw into the garbage last night (did not know what it was, and did not have time to ask before bed), and the other I found this morning. I "isolated" him in a small bowl until after work. When I got home I took some pictures to see if anyone can tell me what it is. I don't think it is aptasia, and I cannot match it to any pictures of mojano. Is it a coral that is growing from the old, established tank?

The first picture is clear, but distant. THe close-ups are blurry.

P1010125-1.jpg

P1010127.jpg

P1010129.jpg

It is about 1/8 inch diameter. Red/orange base, clear with red stripes on the disk, clear arms with a white dot on the end.

Thanks for your time. :)

dsoz

Seems like majano tends to look a lot like a micro bta,.... all cute and tiny and then he brings all his buddies out to party. I couldn't really make out the shape in your pics but that's what I can compare them to. Majano is evil and makes you wish you had aptasia!!

I think it is the nem. I would not blame you if it was something bad. I would just take the rock out of the tank and only take out the stuff that I wanted. It would be my fault for taking something if it was bad. :)

There was another little guy. I think it was a scutt or scutte (something like that). I didn't get a picture, and he dissapearded really quick... He was not black like some of the pictures that I have seen of them. He was more green/grey spotted on a cream/white background. Looked like a slug, but had a partial shell on his back, but flat and not curley like a snail. It is not a limpet (I know what those are).

Thanks again :)

dsoz

They are good. I haven't seen the black ones as much as the grey/brown/cream/white ones (this was just the only photo of one I had). Generally reproduce in the aquariums.

I recently read/heard shrimp (including cleaner shrimp) eat them. I wonder if that is why I haven't seen them much in my own system anymore.

I've been considering a desktop pico at work, a mojano tank. Maybe one of those little 1g tanks with a brighter bulb. I figure since mojano's are so hardy, they'd be a good desktop critter, sort of following the philosophy that a weed is just a plant we haven't found a use for yet.

I've been considering a desktop pico at work' date=' a mojano tank. Maybe one of those little 1g tanks with a brighter bulb. I figure since mojano's are so hardy, they'd be a good desktop critter, sort of following the philosophy that a weed is just a plant we haven't found a use for yet.[/quote']

I like it!!! :)

I have not really found out why others think they are a "weed" other than the fact that they reporduce like crazy, are hard to kill, and will sting a $100 coral to death (go figure). Who needs coral anyway when you can have mojano. :)

dsoz

I like it!!! :)

I have not really found out why others think they are a "weed" other than the fact that they reporduce like crazy, are hard to kill, and will sting a $100 coral to death (go figure). Who needs coral anyway when you can have mojano. :)

dsoz

Given the "help" a tank would likely encounter when I'm on vacation, in spite of any "Do Not Touch" labels, I'd rather have mojano's that I could offer to take off someone's hands for the price of their infested LR than a $100 coral I'll be crying over when I come back to the dead mess.

If you WANT apstasia and Mojano. I know where I can get some... "But they are very rare, and EXPENSIVE"

If you want me to get you some... You better be willing to hand over your first-born.... (music plays, evil laugh here) :)

Seriously. Let me know and I'll tell you which "pet" store has more little "pest" anemones than any 10 people in this group. (not hard, they have some grody looking tanks).

FYI- it is not one of the "fish stores" that I have been to. Joel, Patrick, Travis, and the rest of you are all off the hook. Any pest anemones were undetected by me when I was in your stores. It is a "pet store" that sells dogs, cats, birds, and everything else related to pets. They just happen to have a few SW tanks.

Cheers :)

dsoz

I like mojano's because they're pretty, and I only like aiptasia as berghia feed (I'm a fan of nudibranchs). Sure, let me know which store it is. I thought I knew most of the places in town with SW setups.

The petstore in "downtown" Roseburg (where I lived when I first moved here) has "live rock" that was nothing but aiptasia. When I pointed this out to the bored store clerk, she just shrugged and said the owner called them 'soft corals', they're rock was reasonably priced for having so much life on it: only $35 a pound.

And yes, I am serious, $35 a pound.

• 2 weeks later...

AH-HAH! I found what you are talking about for majano tank! I've got TONS of em if you want some for this idea, mine don't tend to sting anything though, I had a couple rocks COVERED in big green majanos, with a Tenius frag growing right out the middle and it didn't mind at all, they all ran off though when I reaquascaped, those buggers move fast

If you WANT apstasia and Mojano. I know where I can get some... "But they are very rare, and EXPENSIVE"

If you want me to get you some... You better be willing to hand over your first-born.... (music plays, evil laugh here) :)

Seriously. Let me know and I'll tell you which "pet" store has more little "pest" anemones than any 10 people in this group. (not hard, they have some grody looking tanks).

FYI- it is not one of the "fish stores" that I have been to. Joel, Patrick, Travis, and the rest of you are all off the hook. Any pest anemones were undetected by me when I was in your stores. It is a "pet store" that sells dogs, cats, birds, and everything else related to pets. They just happen to have a few SW tanks.

Cheers :)

dsoz

Sounds like my worst nightmare, but I am currious, where is this evil place? maybe I can sell them some of mine, lol