New Camera Questions

drock59

I just picked up a Fuji S5000 and I took some shots of my tank. Problem....I dont have a RAW file converter so i cannot edit or even look at them.

Are there any real advantages to using RAW format or should i stick with JPEG?

Also, does anyone know where i can get a converter or the fuji software...preferably for free?

Thanks

I think jpeg is more than sufficient for most uses unless you're a pro and selling a product...especially at the low levels of compression that most cameras are capable of. The only thing I worry about is the editing software I use and how it saves (or re-saves...) You want something that works on the uncompressed image and recompresses vs. recompressing a compression and always losing detail at each iteration.

my .02.

Ben

nice pics, btw... a tripod makes all the difference. Even if it's just a bar stool. :)

I think Raw mode is great and in some situations it is definatly worth the effort. It is a digital negative with the raw sensor data before the camera does any processing. You can make changes to the white balance, exposure, etc. But, inorder for it to be useful, you need a good software pachage. I have played with Photoshop CS2 and it has support for most camera raw formats, atleast it supports mine. It really makes it easy to import the raw file and make adjustments to the image. I am not sure if Photoshop Elements comes with support for raw images but that would be a cheaper solution, yet not free. You can download 30 day trials from adobe and see what you think.

With that said... I do not use Raw mode very often. Only when I am taking a picture that I want to look really good, or I am going to be doing alot of editing. Jpeg works fine most of the time. It allows me to fit more photos on my cards.

Theron

R3 Im up to my eyebrows in it, if you know what I mean. I havnt had time to even look at my tank lately. I am not going to need that acrylic anytime soon, but Ill take at some point. if someone else wants it go ahead and pass it on.

THe camera is a Fuji Finepix S5000. I am loving it. I am going to get a tripod and see if that helps a bit. Also, will any ol' macro lens for this bad boy work?

Any other advise on lenses welcome.

I got a killer deal on this camera and thus far, i would recomend it to anyone.