Coral suggestions for 40G/320w pc lighting?

siskiou

My 40G w. 20G sump is finally ready for more than the cleaning crew and I am looking for some ideas of what corals to add over time.

I'm trying to avoid Xenia, shrooms and GSP in this one, since they like to take over the whole tank and I've never had too much luck keeping them isolated to just one rock in my 20H

I have several small zoanthids frags in it, the candy cane I got from Miles and the samll hammer frag that recently has problems (it's doing great again! :)).

Metal halides (or the new LED lights) are not in the picture in the near future and I'm wondering what else would be happy in this tank.

Tank depth is 16 inches and there are no fish in the tank as of yet. I'm hoping to add a small school of chromis soon.

How about some more LPS corals? Frogspawn come in lots of colors and i just might be able to frag one of my 2 diff colored ones for you soon. Other than that, you can have all sorts of zoos, rics (like the green/purple i'm trying to get for you), acans, blastos, faviites, daisy polyps, clove polyps.....

You might get away with a monti at the top of the rocks. You really have enough light for a lot of corals, just not enough for the colored sticks :D

How about a sun coral? Just needs to be fed, Sean has LOTS!

How about some more LPS corals? Frogspawn come in lots of colors and i just might be able to frag one of my 2 diff colored ones for you soon.

I'd sure take you up on that! :D

And we are definitely looking forward to that green ric!

Other than that, you can have all sorts of zoos, rics (like the green/purple i'm trying to get for you), acans, blastos, faviites, daisy polyps, clove polyps.....

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to do some studying, since my 20H is mostly softies, except a thriving capricornis, that's been doing amazingly well in that tank considering the lighting!

BTW, if anyone knows where to get daisy polyps, please let me know! They seem to be rarer than chicken with teeth around here!;)

And does anyone have a few small frags to sell of any of the above? I'm definitely interested!

Colorful zoas would also be great! I bought a few small frags at Seans yesterday, and they seem happy in the tank so far. Opened up right away.

You might get away with a monti at the top of the rocks. You really have enough light for a lot of corals, just not enough for the colored sticks :D

Some day I'll have enough light for a few colored sticks! Maybe the LEDs will be affordable in a few decades or so!:rolleyes:

-Susanne

Very nice frogspawn!

What color is your candy cane?

Please pm me me with specifics (price etc. so I know if I can afford it! :)).

I might be able to trade a couple of different zoas (one orange, one with bright green eyes) and I always have xenia and red mushrooms, and a few small GSP frags, though I realize that most people aren't in need of those. :)

-Susanne

The candy cane is the general green variety. I will try to get a photo of it for you. I will sell you the frogspawn for $5 a head. As many heads as you want. My wife might be interested in your zoas for trade. Any pics?

Jay

The candy cane is the general green variety. I will try to get a photo of it for you. I will sell you the frogspawn for $5 a head. As many heads as you want. My wife might be interested in your zoas for trade. Any pics?

Jay

I may already have that same candy cane, then.

Give me a day or so, and I'll try to get pics of the zoas I have!

And I'll get back to you on the frogspawn then two!

Got to run off to work right now...

-Susanne

Some other ideas open brain, some favia, galaxea, torch/hammer.

to give you an idea I have a 12 gallon nano with 30watts of light and i have an open brain, another brain of sorts, galaxea, candy cane, hammer, two different kinds of monti, and another SPS unsure of the type. I can tell you that everything is doing very well and is slowly growing. It can be done, I am proof. here is my tank http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90

Grren and purple would probably do okay with pc lighting. They would have to be up high

Thanks! I actually have a little digitata high up in my 20H that's been doing soso. Very slow growth, but it *is* growing.

Color is just a tannish brown, but I suspect it's do to the lighting.

I'll move that one into the 40G and see if it likes the lighting better in there, and if yes, I may try another.

I can already tell that a 40G is way too small! DOH!

-Susanne

The link is bad.

Ah, okay!

How about leather corals. There are lots in that catagory as well that you could do.

I have a couple of finger leathers in the 20H that want to take over the tank (anyone need some? :)).

But I've seen picture of leathers with green polyps, which I'd love to get some time!

My wife might be interested in your zoas for trade. Any pics?

Jay

Here are the pics of the two types of zoas I have enough of to make a frag.

The pictures are not too great, but good enough, I hope.

Colors are pretty close, but a little brighter in reality.

post-46-141867734001_thumb.jpg

post-46-141867734004_thumb.jpg

I wanted to take a look at your tank pictures, but all I get is:

"Oops! My image for this link is no longer here."

Is it just me and my computer settings?

-Susanne

yeah my bad... i had to dump the pics to make space... I will take some more pics tonight...and post them first thing tomorrow morning.