Got flatworms? Need a show of hands.

Islandoftiki

Ok, I'm about done with sucking flatworms out with a turkey baster every-other-day. The flatworm exit didn't do the trick, nor is manual removal and I'm seriously considering getting a velvet sea slug (chelidonura varians) to finish them off. However, only if I can find a couple people who would be willing to keep said sea slug going in sort of a sharing circle.

I'd like a show of hands of people who have flatworms and would be willing to pass a slug from one person to the next so that it isn't wasted on my one little tank.

I don't mind making the initial investment, but I won't waste the poor critter on just my one tank.

Or, does someone have a velvet sea slug I can borrow?

Would a small sixline be ok with my peppermint shrimp and pom pom crab? Most info says they attack live shrimp.

I have a peppermint, a pistol and two coral bandeds in my tank. Also an emerald crab and two procelain crabs never seen a problem. I've seen more issues with the peppermint picking at the hermits (it always gives up)

They're the rust brown flatworms with the red dot at one end. Convolutriloba retrogemma, I believe. Flatworm exit was very effective on getting rid of quite a few, but left behind a couple resistant ones. I have been persistently removing every one I can find, but there are always more, so it's a never ending process that I'd like to be done with. They will sit on mushrooms, but rarely get to accumulate in any more than the odd one or two before they get sucked out.

I was going to do the same swap-out technique' date=' but I ended up just keeping the Malanarus because he's impossible to catch. Now I've got 3 wrasses and no flat worms.[/quote']

My sixline would be near impossible to catch, but he's working in 2 gallons...should make it way easier.

If you end up with the flatworm eating nudibranch and it lives I would take it off your hands, but not a big fan of 6 lines. They are too mean for my tanks. I've been told the nudi will die though. The kind of flatworms you have would likely be eaten by a melanurus wrasse as well, so keep your eyes peeled for a tiny female of those. I'd definitely take a female melanurus off your hands, love them.

Kate

Attention all flatworms. This is your final notice. Your a$$ is wrasse, and this tiny little gal is gonna mow it.

4422DAE5.jpg

Isn't she cute? A big thanks to the guys at Rose City Aquarium for finding me this really tiny sixline to help manage my flatworm issue. They personally picked out the smallest one they could find. :)

I'll let everyone know when it's time to re-home her. Perhaps she can be donated to a teacher.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. I'm sure it would be ok for a month or so. I'd probably up my water changes to twice a week just to be safe while it's in there.

A juvenile sixline is going to be infinitely easier to find and re-home.

Should you not keep a six line in a reef?

They're supposed to be reef safe. Mine hasn't touched the corals. After a week, I can't find a single flatworm in there. Not one. So far so good. It's such a tiny one that it has a reasonable amount of room to swim and lots of interesting things to keep it amused. I'll keep it for another couple weeks until I'm sure the flatworms are gone for good. Water quality has stayed perfect. Zero Ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite. I'm changing the filter floss daily as well because the tank is getting fed more than normal, but the clean up crew has been quite pleased about that.

I have had a mini reef that size before still do, and the wrasse wouldnt work. he would get to agressive to even the fish.

I watch a 6 line wrasse in my huge tank go after my big tigar pistol shimp and won. Id reccement trying the flat work exit a few more times and then get a slug if that doesnt work. The slug wont live long in that tank but he would be no bother.. also In that tank if you could I have taken out the rocks and dip them in re-vive coral cleaner or reef dip by seachem. also to prevent more you can pre dip everything that goes into your tank to prevent bad hitch hickers like glass anemones. the stuff works and it will control flat worms... and also taking away the pest food source works great too...

I have been battling flatworms as well. I dosed enough flatworm rx to put my snails in a coma for 2 days and the flatworms still came back. I have two more weeks of a fallow period before I can start adding fish again after an ich outbreak. Once that was up I had planned on rotating in a 6-line to control those little bastards. I have a 90G tank so I think a 6-Line should be happy in there.

Archived