Mixing your own Magnesium Supplements

Hewey McLovit

Mag flake is really really hard to get a hold of around here for some reason. I've used it and i didn't notice any major difference between it and the BRS stuff. However, there may be connection between the DIY mg supplementation and nuisance algae growth. Soon after dosing with the DIY stuff we had a big dinoflagellate/diatom outbreak but that may have been from switching our bulbs.

Mag flake is really really hard to get a hold of around here for some reason. I've used it and i didn't notice any major difference between it and the BRS stuff. However' date=' there may be connection between the DIY mg supplementation and nuisance algae growth. Soon after dosing with the DIY stuff we had a big dinoflagellate/diatom outbreak but that may have been from switching our bulbs.[/quote']

I have been trying to figure out what Mag Flakes are used for and from the little info i have found they seem to be used for ice/snow removal? Perhaps when global climate change gets even more out of control, we might be skiing to work and having it more available? Thanx for the reply.

I mix my own...try chemical suppliers' date=' no ill effects that I know of. Sulfates can build up using epsom salts. I havent noticed any issues but I do regular water changes.[/quote']

MVP, are you saying Sulfates can get out of control if you don't use Mag Chloride? I thought that is the reason for mixing them?

I have been trying to figure out what Mag Flakes are used for and from the little info i have found they seem to be used for ice/snow removal? Perhaps when global climate change gets even more out of control' date=' we might be skiing to work and having it more available? Thanx for the reply.[/quote']

It's used in horse arenas, I'm not sure for what exactly. We got a hold of a person in Washington that was willing to sell us one bag instead of a whole pallet.

I bought about 20lbs. on Ebay a couple of years ago from a company called Limpet's Reef. I added my own Epson salt. I haven't any problems. Not sure if they are still around.

Thank you, they still have it, here's the link http://www.limpitsreef.com/20-lb-Magflake.html

He has a cool 3 Cree actinic flashlight, that could be neat.

I bought about 20lbs. on Ebay a couple of years ago from a company called Limpet's Reef. I added my own Epson salt. I haven't any problems. Not sure if they are still around.

Thank you, they still have it, here's the link http://www.limpitsreef.com/20-lb-Magflake.html

He has a cool 3 Cree actinic flashlight, that could be neat.

Not by using mag chloride but by using epsom salts (mag sulfate) alone. I think mag flake is like 80%, make me want to know whats in the rest. Bromide is another ingredient to watch out for buildups like sulfates. It is often another small portion of mag and dow flakes. Chemical suppliers can get you the most pure, but with that comes cost

Not by using mag chloride but by using epsom salts (mag sulfate) alone. I think mag flake is like 80%' date=' make me want to know whats in the rest. Bromide is another ingredient to watch out for buildups like sulfates. It is often another small portion of mag and dow flakes. Chemical suppliers can get you the most pure, but with that comes cost[/quote']

That's what i thought. I have found a produce that is made by Scotwood industries which is 'pet friendly' and is 'pure' dead sea salt. The MSDA sheet is at this link: http://www.scotwoodindustries.com/brands/5/products/16

This is also the same company which makes mag pellets and flakes and the MSDA says it is also 'pure dead sea salt'. The ingredient of the two look exactly the same, from what i can tell, with different marketing/price point.

I also found this link on Reef Central ( http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759813 ) that has a letter from Scotwood saying it's safe. I think i'll call and then try to find it if it's still the same product. With shipping might be better to by BRS.

I just spoke to Sharon at Scotwood industries and she did say it is pure Mag Chloride and that their Mag flake, pellet and roadrunner products at chemically the same, just different marketing. There are no current retailers that are carrying it west of the Rockies, due to cost in freight. The local True Value said they could possibly get it on special request b/c they are a distributor of it. I'll keep you informed.

Archived