Hardiest Fish Alive!

Jeramy

Just want to through this out there and here what other peoples opions are of the rough riders of the reefing hobby. The fish that take a lickin and keep on tickin. Stories of your personal experiences with these tough little buggers is a plus. =)

The fish I had the best luck with believe it or not was a leopard wrasse. It made it through my marine velvet scare last year when I lost every other fish in the tank. It now resides at Beth/Kim's place.

But I would think it really depends on water parameters. I have had absolutely no luck with the powder tangs. I have lost two blues and 1 brown now. I won't be doing one again anytime soon.

My superman fish (btw, i do test regularly for Kryptonite) is a purple tang. I had a sea cucumber get into my closed loop about 2 years ago and got completely shredded and distributed back into my tank. The skimmer went haywire, fish swimming in circles, virtually all of my coral bleached or died, but through it all, the only fish that survived, in fact thrived, was my purple tang. (nutty)

An oscar and common plecostomus. Oscar was my college roomates. He thought it was dead and put it in a 5 gallon bucket with like and inch of water, put the lid on, and put it outside (lazy a**). Like 3 days later I opened it up, not knowing what it was, and he gasped. He went back into a tank, (neighbors) and lived great! Same roomate tore down the same tank. Left a few inches of water and the gravel and stuck the tank in the garage. He moved out about a month later and said i could have the tank, a 55 gallon. I go out and you can tell it has evaporated a lot due to the mineral lines but low and behold there is a 4 inch common pleco still doing his thing, the light coming through the window kept some nice algae growing. This fish went to the same neighbor. Not saltwater but crazy none the less.

I had a blue green chromis live in a bucket for 6 days after our move (didn't realize that I missed it until I was cleaning up and dumping out the water).

I also had an ocellaris clown jump out and live on the carpet for about ten minutes before I got it back into some water. He is kinda special now, but still alive.

Archived