My battle with Phosphate and Nitrates

Frank

So I have been trying the carbon pellets to reduce myphosphate and mynitrates I have tried vodka and other thing but none of them worked so far the carbon pellets are I have been tracking them here are my findings:

After my tank crash and not taking care of the tank :

10/11

Phosphate 1.22

Nitrates 35.2

10/14

Phosphate .44

Nitrates 35.2

10/30

Phosphate .63

Nitrates 17.6

11/01

Phosphate .11

Nitrates 17.6

11/04

Phosphate .06

Nitrates 13.2

11/08

Phosphate .02

Nitrates 8.8

did you switch completely over to these now? I'm still considering doing the bio-pellets at some point as well but have read too many issues with people not slowly adding them to their tank. Looks like you've had some good results so far. Really interested to hear how it goes for you after another month or so.

Nice results Frank, I run a koralin denitrator and my nitrates and posphates are very low. My system is heavily stocked.

Nitrates are 4ppm, I can get it to zero but don't think my clam would be happy. Phosphate is .02.

It's a nice set and forget system, I ran it for 1.5 years so far.

• 2 weeks later...
I run bio pellets and I have never ever had p04 in my tank or nitrates' date=' they are always zero no matter how much food I feed the tank. Using the hanna meter to check p04 and the salifert for nitrates.[/quote']

What size tank? how much of the bio pellets do you run.

I ran 1000ml of biopellets in my system for about a year, couldn't really tell a difference either way if they were working or not. My system just doesnt really make very much phosphate... I stopped using GFO long ago and my system always is about 0.01-0.02. I'm curious how your system is able to accumulate SO much phosphate? What kind of skimmer are you running? What do you feed? Where did the rock from your system come from?

Archived